Chapter 3

{If I wrote a Jasia fic, who would read it?}

Bernie's P.O.V -

I stumbled through the first week a little clumsily, I got lost multiple times and had to be rescued by nurses. I tried to keep out of the way of Ms Campbell to avoid further humiliation but she was assigned my mentor so that proved to be a challenge.

I breathed and stepped onto the ward, a new week and a chance to restart and show I wasn't some run down wannabe surgeon. I'd only been into theatre twice last week and it was just to observe. This week I was determined to at least assist.

Serena's P.O.V -

I glanced upwards as Bernie walked into our office. I didn't really mind sharing an office with her, she was quiet and it was fun watching her squirm when I tried to make conversation.

"Morning Ms Wolfe" I said with a sly smile. She smiled at me awkwardly and mumbled what I can only assume was a greeting of some kind.

"Got any room for a surgery slot today?" I asked. I knew she'd come from being a trauma surgeon and was probably feeling withdrawal symptoms from lack of surgery. She looked up from her computer and opened her mouth but it was a while before she spoke.

"Me?" She asked and her voice shook.

"Well you're my second in command now. Who else would I ask?" She smiled and it seemed genuine not forced like the ones I'd been receiving all week.

"Good, well, I'll need you in theatre at 12 O'clock, it's a simple procedure. I'll get Raf to give you the details." She was still looking at me directly and nodded.

"Will I also need to get him to give you directions to theatre?" I smirked as she blushed at this question.

"I'm only teasing" I said as she went from a faint red to what could almost be described as scarlet.

"I'll be in theatre at 12." She said standing up. She grabbed a few files from the cupboard and left. I laughed at this. Why did I make her so uncomfortable?

Bernie's P.O.V -

I got out of there as soon as I could. Walking over to a patient i replayed what just happened. I'm assisting in theatre, I thought it would take me all week to achieve that, and I didn't even have to ask. But there's something about Ms Campbell which makes me feel sickly nervous around her. I've never been shy and I usually nail first impressions.

I busied myself checking up on people and asking nurses to chase bloods for Ms Campbell's patients. I felt a bit useless, not having patients of my own, and just tying up loose ends. I expected to have to work my way back up but not from this low.

Raf found his way to me at 11. He handed me the notes and details of the patient and the procedure.

"I expect you can read and understand them yourself."

"Thank you" I called as he walked away. At least I wasn't being treated like a nurse by him. I left the ward early so that I wasn't late for theatre. Ms Campbell was right, it really was a simple procedure. I'd performed it as lead a hundred times under much worse circumstances. But still I was grateful for the opportunity