Chapter 4

Serena's P.O.V -

She was on time to theatre which was a good start. It was a quick as well as a simple procedure and if all went okay should only take half an hour.

We scrubbed in side by side and exchanged little more than a few words about the procedure.

As we stepped into the theatre I glanced at Ms Wolfe. She didn't look nervous and I knew she could probably lead with no worries.

"Ms Wolfe?" I started slowly turning to face her. She looked up at me.

"Yes?"

"Would you like to lead?" I asked. She looked a little shocked.

"Of course if your not prepared I can do it" I added in case she felt pressured.

"No..." She said "I can do it" I think I saw her smile but I could've imagined it.

"Good well we're ready when you are."

-----~-----

Bernie's P.O.V -

I scrubbed out with a grin. It went well with no problems and it was done in 35 minutes. I was just stepping out of theatre when Ms Campbell called my name.

I faced her trying to suppress the grin that was still on my face.

"I'll see you in my- our office please, I want a word" She said raising an eyebrow and smirking.

I nodded, pushed through the door and headed back to the ward.

-----~-----

Serena's P.O.V - 

I flopped down on the chair and glanced at the mass of paperwork on my desk with a groan. I reached for a bottle in my draw but decided to wait for Ms Wolfe.

I didn't have to wait long, within  a few minutes the door opened and she walked in and sat down opposite me. 

"I wanted to congratulate you on your performance in theatre today" I smild but she frowned at me.

"Thank you for the opportunity but I'm not an F1 so please don't treat me like one." She said starting to organise her desk.

I laughed at this and continued anyway.

"So, I think we should celebrate."  Her face went a deep red and I struggled not to giggle.

"What do you mean?" she stuttered. I pulled the bottle from my draw and waved it at her.

"Wine?" I said and she visibly relaxed. I produced 2 glasses and handed her one.

"You're my kind of woman." She laughed before realizing what she had said.

"I..I.. mea-" she spluttered. I laughed at her and drank some more. Her blush gradually faded as she drank more and more.

The clock indicated that both of our shifts had finished long ago but we stayed in our office, drinking and talking.

She told me about her time in the war as an army surgeon.

"I have to be honest, I don't think I'm brave enough or strong enough to do that" I said as she finished another story about surgery with no anaesthetic in the middle of a field.

"You get used to it." She sighed and rubbed her face.

"I better get going" she said suddenly and I felt a little sad.

I nodded and stood up.

"I should go too" we both grabbed our stuff and headed down together. She was silent and I didn't want to interrupt her thoughts.

I said goodbye and she smiled at me.

"I'll see you tommorrow" she said finally and we left each other's company.