Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Kate wheeled herself into the small, private hospital room, terrified of what she might see in front of her. Her dad was waiting for her outside, giving her some time alone with Rick's subconscious.

Her eyes were squeezed shut tightly, not wanting to see him look as if he were dead. She wheeled closer and closer, until she hit the side of the bed. There was only the sound of her quick, quiet breaths along with Rick's loud, ragged ones. Slowly and unwilling, she forced her eyes open, gasping at the sight.

There lay Rick, battered and torn, on the bed, looking so frail that she felt if she touched him, he might shatter. His lip was cut and swollen, there were stitches across his forehead and cheek, along with bruises and small cuts. His arms and legs were the same.

Beckett felt tears sting the back of her eyes as she reached for his hand, lifting it up and putting it on her cheek. He was still so warm and soft, heat radiated off his skin like nothing was wrong.

The next thing she knew, her knees were pulled against her chest and her head lay in her hands whilst she sobbed.

"I'm so sorry, Rick. I'm so sorry. I love you." She cried, laying her head on his chest and holding his hand.

It was then she remembered something she had read on a website about people in comas. That they sometimes knew what was going on around them. That they could hear, but they could not speak or react to it. Slowly she looked at him and said quietly, "Can you hear me? If you can just try and squeeze my hand. Please." Nothing.

Hot tears ran down her cheeks as she realized that she may never speak to him again. She heard the door creak open, and thinking it was her dad, she whipped around, about to tell him to leave. Instead of her dad she saw a small familiar figure. A 14 year-old girl with fiery red hair, and a delicate frame. "Alexis?" Beckett asked, quickly wiping the tears from her face. Alexis ran over to her, embracing her in a tight hug. Alexis cried into her shoulder, mumbling that she missed her dad but glad that she was okay.

Kate stroked Alexis' hair, calming her down. Not that it was much help because she too, was on the verge of tears.

"We just gotta stay strong. We just have to hope he gets better." She assured as Alexis stepped away, wiping her face with the back of her hand. Alexis nodded and forced a smile.

She knew what it felt like. She already lost her mother, and if she lost Rick, she wouldn't know what to do with her life. Beckett looked at her feet. He could never die. Not while she was around. She would make sure that his heart kept beating, and that they would leave this world together, hand in hand, after they had lived a happy, fulfilling life, loving each other forever.