Ch.6, The Start to an Evening

Nyx

 Nyxeria felt just as nervous as Travis. It had been a long time since her last first date. She was working her hair into soft curls as her mother sat on the bed behind her. Max, her golden retriever, had his head upon her mother's lap. While Nyxeria messed with her hair her mother messed with Max's fur. "So what do you know about him?" Mrs. Page asked her daughter.

 "Honestly not much," she paused a moment to comment, "He is cute, kind of awkward..."

 "Be careful. I don't want him to break your heart. Whatever happened to that nice coast guard fellow?"

 "You mean Mr. Muscle who wouldn't leave me alone. Come on, I could barely have a conversation with him lasting more than three sentences."

 "And this mystery man is perfect?"

 "I'm giving him a chance besides no one is perfect. Except dad."

 Nyx's mother went quiet for a few moments. Her mind was elsewhere.

“Have you gotten any closer on his case?” she asked.

Nyxeria responded, “Not really, I’m trying to get Pat to come back out and look at the car again.”

Mrs. Page changed subjects again, “Why don’t we just stay in tonight and have a girls night?”

Nyxeria had no idea where her mother's hostility was coming from. It was abnormal. Yet Nyxeria understood her fear of losing another loved one.

“Mom what’s wrong with one little date?”

 "I won't let him hurt you." Her mother stated.

 "I'm a big girl. There is no need to worry. I can take care of myself." Nyxeria kissed her mother goodbye and exited her home. The engine of her old green Chevy truck purred as she pulled out of her driveway.

Travis

Travis ran his fingers through his hair as she pulled up to his place. Her hair hung loose to almost her waist. She wore a casual green patterned dress that matched her eyes. She was so beautiful. His blue jeans and purple button down felt incomparable to the way her clothing effortlessly enhanced her body.  He felt incredibly nervous. Before he forgot himself, Travis grabbed the bouquet of daffodils. He had picked them up at one of the petrol stations earlier. His mother had always told him to remember to give a girl flowers. Smiling at the memory he made his way down the path towards her.

Nyx

Nyxeria played with the keys in her hand as she made her way towards him. She couldn't help but notice the way he sauntered over to her and the way his shirt was a tad too tight on his torso causing his defined muscles to stand out. He was far too much a pretty boy. There was no way this date would be a success. What was she thinking? It was then that she noticed the flowers in his hand. Yellow daffodils, a perfect blend of friendly with romantic. That was sweet of him. Who takes the time for little things like that? It wasn't a large awkward gesture. It was so much better.

Tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear, which had fallen over her face, Nyxeria took a deep breath, "Are those for me?"

"I wasn't planning on see anyone else tonight so yes," Travis gave a cocky half smile and glanced at his shoes. "Do you like them?" He asked handing them to her.

"I love them. I can't recall the last time someone got me flowers. And the daffodils are lovely. I guess that is one thing I learned about you. You have wonderful taste in flowers." Granted she was being liberal with her compliments, yet they both need a confidence boost.

"I usually don't. I guess it is just pretty girls that bring it out of me."

She rolled her eyes. "Get in the truck prince charming." Travis was rather proud of himself when he opened the driver seat door for her and the proceeded to get into the passenger’s side.

 “So where are we off to this evening?" Travis commented as she pulled onto the road.

 "Somewhere special." She turned off into a hidden road far inland. The trees were already thick despite only a few green leaves surging through to greet the air. The drive was pleasant with the radio blasting. She finally pulled off onto a road that took them into a meadow.

 "I thought you were going to show me the town."

 "I am. Trust me," she grabbed her backpack and headed up a hill.