Gridlock (Part 4)

A/N: So I slammed through the Smith & Jones rewrite yesterday (Yes, it's still appearing, though it's quite a bit different and obviously out of order compared to canon) and now I'm trying to write an interlude and it's being... difficult <_< *pokes muse*

The Doctor had pulled his specs on and was staring at the screen when the best news he'd seen all day appeared on it. "Car Four Six Five Diamond Six, it still registers! That's Mallory. I knew she was good. Novice Hame, hold that in place!" He darted from the screen, gesturing to the tubing he wanted her to hold in place and muttering under his breath.

"There isn't enough power," Hame said, though she did as he asked.

"Ah, you've got power! You've got me! I'm brilliant with computers, just you watch." He stopped at a far wall with two screens and even more buttons, before turning around and point to her. "Hame, every switch on that bank, up to maximum!"

He splayed out on the floor, working some more and finally sonic something.

"I can't power up the city, but all the city needs is people!" The Doctor banged his fist on the console and leapt to his feet.

"So what are you going to do?"

"This!" he yelled, flicking a switch, knowing the excitement in his voice could probably be felt all the way down in the under-city. But the screens went blank and there was the distinct sound of electronics powering down. "No, no no no no no no, no!" He knelt down again, continuing to use his sonic. "The transformers are blocked, the signal can't get through!"

Doctor, came Boe's voice.

"Yeah, hold on, not now," he snapped.

I give you my last... Boe let out a long, wheezing breath and suddenly, everything powered back on.

"Hame, look after him!" the Doctor exclaimed, disentangling himself from various wires and jumping back to his feet. "Don't you go dying on me, you big old face! You've got to see this!" He flipped the switch again, grinning. "The open road!"

Far below him, the roof of the motorway opened wide.

"Sorry, no Sally Calypso," he said, projecting himself to the cars below. "She was just a hologram. My name's the Doctor. And this is an order. Everyone drive up. Right now. I've opened the roof of the motorway. Come on, throttle those engines! Drive up, all of you, the whole under-city. Drive up, drive up, drive up! Fast! We've got to clear that fast lane. Drive up and get out of the way!"

~~~

Car Four Six Five Diamond Six tumbled and crashed and crunched as the Macra batted them about like a toy. For one, sickening moment, they stopped and the sides of the car began to cave in, but then there was an almighty jolt and they were free again.

And a very familiar face appeared on the screen.

"Oi! Car Four Six Five Diamond Six! Mallory! Drive up!"

"Doctor!" she cried, laughing in relief.

"We can't go up, we'll hit the layer!" Milo yelled.

"If he says go up, then go up!" Mallory told him.

"You've got access above," the Doctor said from the screen. "Now go!"

And up they went, following the rest of the cars out into the sunlight. Cheen yelled her disbelief and after a moment, Milo kissed her soundly, while Mallory could only sit there, a massive grin on her face. "He did it."