28/Elucidate

Elucidate: to make something clear or easy to understand

"Isobel, remember how I asked you what you'd do if i wasn't human?" he asked. She nodded, not sure what she was supposed to expect. "Well what I'm going to say next won't really make sense, so please bear with me and try to stay calm."

"Okay..." she managed, not daring to look away from him.

He took a deep breath. "I'm a humanoid... My mind was uploaded to a bunch of virtual supercomputers, and as long as I have bodies to upload to, I'm technically immortal..."

"Okay, now that you've cleared that up, why don't I take over?" Koda said, slightly annoyed by how long it was taking his friend to talk.

"Sure," River answered.

"All three of us are like him. We refer to each other as Entities. We've been assigned numbers to designate us, although some of us prefer to go by a pseudonym. River is 128, I'm 64 and Pandora is 32. We all woke up in a white room not knowing who we were, and I'm pretty sure he's already told you that. River was the last one to have his brain uploaded because the project didn't get enough funding."

128 took over. "You're more than just someone on the street Isobel. Ever since I learned that I was what I was, I've had visions of someone that looks very much like you. I've spent my whole life trying to find that girl, and I just happened to stumble across you in a convenience store while I was being chased down by the MI-6..."

"Why?" she asked as calm as ever.

"I messed with the government because I was bored. I was trying to shut off our virtual realty because frankly, I'm done with living like this. I'm assuming I used to be an agent of sorts because I know how to do those kind of things..."

"We were probably all agents of sorts 128," Pandora said quietly. "And you were an idiot to attempt to shut off the Cloud."

"To be honest," Koda started, "I don't approve of your actions, and neither does she. Just because you're immortal, doesn't mean you can go around doing whatever you want, and the fact that you're building strong relations with humans is already a mistake. I don't even want to know what you two did together, but whatever it is, it was a bad idea."

A silence filled the room until River broke it again. "One more thing you should know is that this body isn't mine. I don't know how old my mind is, but I do know that this body is a clone. Each of us are assigned to a type of body, each type being engineered to be perfect, so that we don't end up in the wrong body while uploading."

"River, you know that disclosing information like this to a human isn't wise..." Koda said, still frustrated from learning what 128's true intentions were.

"What do you want me to do? Keep it from her?" he answered with a hint of hostility.

"You have two options. Either we turn her into an Entity or you let her go."

"I can't do any of that..."

"She's not different is she?" Pandora asked timidly.

"She has Asperger's..." River answered solemnly.

"Oh..."

"Turning her into an Entity is out of the question because her brain structure and thought process is different. The Syncs won't work and she might not be copied properly to the Cloud. I don't want to lose her."

"So what do we do?" Isobel asked, not really catching onto what River was saying, but still being concerned for her own life.

"If this dork really wants to turn the whole thing off, we could do it from where we wake up in the pods..." Koda said, answering a question that was meant to be answered forever ago.

"Time to pack up then!" 32 said, getting up from the couch, only to be hauled back down, falling right into Koda's lap.

"And who said I was ready to leave?" he asked her in a slightly seductive way.

"You've never been the one to give the orders anyway, so why should I listen to you?" she answered with practically the same tone. River and Isobel looked at each other, not exactly wanting to see the other two get very sensual very quickly. He stood and started walking toward the door.

"Shall we get a head start?" he asked her without really turning around to see if she was coming.

She caught up with him. "Wait." He turned around and was greeted by a sudden kiss, one that almost made him fall backwards. He smiled awkwardly under her lips, relieved to see that she wasn't in pain anymore. "I'm glad you're back..." she whispered to him. "I thought I was loosing my mind..."