Eighth-grade

14 years old

Nathan Ackerman stood with the cool autumn air blowing his hair. Summer was gone too fast. Life has gone too fast. He tried sweeping his bangs to the side but the wind just get blowing it. He grumbled and made an I-give-up gesture.

He could see the bus stopping a few blocks away because of the red light. When the light turned green, the bus stopped in front of Nathan.

"Sup Mike."

"Man, Nathan I'm gunna miss you."

"Yea. Well you know where I live. Gotta visit me over the summer."

"What am I? A stalker?"

"Hey! You never know!"

Mike laughed. "Get on board. Enjoy the bus rides as much as you can."

Nathan walked up the 3 steps. He would miss these three steps. He walked down the rows of empty seats to a seat where a girl with dark blond hair stood. A camera was sticking out the window and the wind blew her hair all over the place. She didn't seem to mind at all.

Nathan placed his book bag on the floor and wrapped his arms around her. "You like the camera?"

She rolled her eyes at him. "Hmmm maybe maybe not."

"Well you seem to be enjoying it."

Nathan sat down on the seat. Lilian did so too. She carefully placed the camera on her lap. One of Nathan's arms wrapped around her and her head on Nathan's shoulder. The camera had been a gift from Nathan for Lilian's 14th birthday.

"Did you receive the chocolates?" Nathan asked with a smirk.

"Half of them were gone!"

"The good service of having Tony deliver them."

Lilian laughed. "You couldn't deliver them yourself?"

"Your mom would have thought I was stealing your mail."

Lilian laughed again.

Nathan smiled. He loved her laugh. "Can I see the pictures you've taken?"

Lilian lifted her head off Nathan's shoulder. "Sure." She handed the camera to him.

Nathan pressed a few buttons. There weren't a lot of pictures. A sunrise, a sunset, Lilian's parents, Nathan smiling when Lilian had kissed him for the gift, and two pictures of Nathan waiting for the bus to come;his hair blowing in the wind.

Nathan laughed.

"What?"

"Are you making a collection of pictures called Nathan Ackerman, a life?"

Lilian smirked. "Maybe I should." She frowned. "I'm gonna miss you Nathan."

"Then let's make another picture."

As if Lilian knew what Nathan was thinking, she stood up straight, the camera turned around to take a picture of them both.

Nathan kissed her and the camera flashed.