Chapter 8

Chapter 8

“God, that was so embarrassing. I’m so sorry about that.” I sniffled, trying my best not to look at Xavier out of the corner of my eyes. I couldn’t even start to believe that I had just started bawling in front of the Hunter. There had to be something wrong with me, or there had to be something about this hunter that made me reveal all my weakness to him. First, I tremor and quake after getting pinned down by him. Then I let myself almost get killed by a bunch of lowly human hunters. As if that wasn’t enough, everyone at the nightclub yesterday saw my weakness with Wind, and today, I start bawling in front of him. God, I must given him such an impression on him.

Yet, my apology was replied by a hearty chuckle, a chuckle that was truthfully amused.

“We all have our worst days. From what I’ve managed to gather, I figure you dealing with Wind early in the night rub your emotions raw.” Xavier’s voice was light and relaxed, not the slightest bit tensed or piteous.

I sniffled again, trying not to remember how I’d collapsed in his soft embrace, my tears flooding him. His shirt had been drenched with my tears.

“That you are right. If there’s anyone who can do this to me, even without trying; it’s Wind. I’m just sorry about showing my unsightly crying face to you.” I couldn’t help but apologize, because the embarrassment was plain killing me. Damned, he came here thinking I was the strongest nightstalker in the whole America. I was; except that I wasn’t emotionally strong.

“Believe me, Unsightly isn’t the right word.” Xavier said, and I turned to see him grinning mischievously. Frowning, I punched him on his arm, though with very little strength, while he laughed; a truly amused one. I couldn’t even begin to understand why there were no girls jumping on him yet. With his looks, his skills, his hard muscles and his soft, emotional insides, I was shocked that he didn’t even have a wife yet. But all things aside; I couldn’t see how his wife would understand his fiery need of finding his sister’s murderer.

“Hey, I was going to say ‘pretty’.” Xavier’s voice was joking, his bright eyes winking at me as if he was referring to a third person. I groaned, reminded at his likeness of a dashing teenager with a knack for finding trouble –an act that didn’t fit him.

We didn’t continue the conversation as I hailed a cab. Though I could easily teleport or put on my inhumane speed to get to my destination easily, not to mention that I could run the rooftops in a speed much faster than a cheetah could manage, I needed time to settle the broken piece in my head.

I needed to tuck the broken and jagged pieces in safe places in my mind, so that I couldn’t hurt myself with those sharp thoughts. I needed to throw away that crying bitch inside of me that hadn’t yet stopped her wailing.

I needed time for calm, and time for the redness to leave my eyes. Surprisingly, Xavier kept quiet throughout the whole cab ride, watching the scenery of Seattle’s busy street unwind. The business district was busy as always, always the bustling place. Beggars littered the place, but I recognized a few of them as my nightstalkers, hiding in the guise of a poor beggar, keeping an eye out for me. They were the silent security in the city of Seattle, and though they were rich beyond most human’s comprehension, they dressed in rags, and allowed themselves to be laughed at by the rich businessmen walking by.

It was they who kept eyes out for rogue nightstalkers, new nightstalkers and intruding nightstalkers. In a way, they were my policemen.

Looking good, Dru. Had a nice rest?

Tyler’s voice penetrated through my mind as the cab stopped at a red light; the busy crowd bustling around. I looked out the cab window, meeting eyes with one of the beggars with a smile. Tyler was ever the cheerful nightstalker ever since he decided to settle down in my domain after centuries of breezing around. He had signed himself up to be part of Security, and had never failed to greet me.