Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Since the Dark Wind was already closed for the talk, I figured it didn’t hurt to let Jaye and Faith have a break from managing the nightclub for the day. After all, I needed to think, and I needed Faith’s help. Even though I was perfectly capable of coming up with ideas, my mind was still reeling too hard. Faith would know what to do to still that mind of mine. Faith was probably the only one left that I trusted now. Maybe Cole too; but that servant of mine didn’t know when to control that mouth and fists of his during times.

“You called for me?” Faith asked; her voice thin as she poked her head through the door. I beckoned her in, without giving her a glance over. My mind was spinning; my world seemed as if it was tumbling into oblivion. It felt like the ground beneath me had been stripped away, and I was left delirious and raw as utter hell while I struggled to know what up and down were.

Much as the very cells in my body screamed that whatever Kote had said wasn’t true, my mind knew otherwise. Kote had no reasons to lie to me. Furthermore, I trusted my eyes when I saw the truthfulness in his eyes; heard the truth his voice. He had been speaking the truth. But it made no sense. Why would Wind create Vin? Why did Wind make Vin to be an assassin? Why would Wind want to start a war between nightstalkers and sorcerers, when he was one of both sides? Like me, Wind was one of both sides of the war; we were caught in between. Why would he want to start the war? What good did he reap? Why Valentino? Why my parents, when he knew that I would at least feel a shred of filialness towards them? Why target Anneson, when he knew how much I loved my brother?

Why?

“Dru? Are you okay? Did they do anything to you?” Faith placed a hand over mine, and I realized that it was trembling as it held on tight to the stem of the wine glass. I gave a short bark of laughter, but it was a painful sound that was devoid of humor.

“Even if they did, you wouldn’t be able to do anything. They are the Ancients. You are merely my servant; not even the servant of an Ancient like Wind.” It felt raw to say it. Servant of Wind. Even though I’d come to terms with the fact that I was Wind’s creation, I’d always been convinced that I was different. I’d seen the way Wind treated his other servants, how he would force them to whatever they didn’t want to. I’d believed strongly that I was different, that Wind saw me differently, because he loved me. But now; everything was different. Wind had ordered my parents dead. He had ordered for my brother to be hunted after. Wind, my master, the same Ancient who lured me in with his charm.

“True, but I have to know. What is wrong, Dru? Why are you trembling like this?” Faith carefully asked as I shook her hand away, bringing the wine to my lips. I didn’t even feel the liquid rolling down my throat as I swallowed, only that burning feeling deep inside me.

“I…Tell me what to do, Faith. I don’t know what to think. I don’t know if I can survive this.” I let my hopelessness seep into my voice as I broke down before her. Alarm rose in her eyes, as she sidled in closer, taking the wineglass gently from my fingers and setting on the table carefully. I figured it was a good thing to do, since my hand was still trembling, and I was very well near spilling wine all over myself. I needed someone to hold me and tell me it would be okay. That someone once was Wind.

But I couldn’t trust him now. Not after what Kote said. Not after the trust I gave Wind, and not after what he did with it.

“Tell me what happened, Dru! You can do this. Tell me what happened, so that I can help you out, Dru. You know you can trust me.” Faith implored as she took my hands in hers, pulling my gaze to hers.

Trust. The word that I was beginning to fear. Who could I really trust anymore? Could I truly trust Faith? Once, I thought I could trust Wind. Once, I thought I could trust Xavier. Both had been such a let-down to my hopeful heart; both had shattered it to a million tiny pieces. Could I afford to tape the pieces back carefully, only to let it be broken by Faith again? Would Faith turn her back on me, like what Wind and Xavier did?