Chapter 1

The Dark Wind

Chapter 1

As the light from the moon clung tight to my frame, like a girl hugging her teddy bear tight, I crouched, watching silently. The Hunter was walking down the street carefully, stalking and trying to hide in the shadows himself, even though he knew that I could see him with my night vision. Strapped at his back was a long stake, but it was just a decoy, since I saw the stiffness at his forearm, that held the smaller stake that was probably made from the sturdy wood of a white ash tree.

Without a doubt, the Hunter must have studied his opponent species very well. Rarely any hunters nowadays knew what it was that really hurt my kind and it was actually a surprise that this hunter knew. Well, there had to be a reason why the ones of my kind spoke the Hunter with a tone of respect and awe, despite being his natural enemy.

I watched as the Hunter stopped in the middle of the long street, still in a defensive stance as he waited for me to move. Both of us knew that he was here for a reason: To end my long life, and to rid my town of the ruling nightstalker. Not so fast, buddy.

“Leave, Hunter, and you will not be hunted after. I will not view this as an act of cowardice, but the result of a clever mind.” I said, projecting my voice just nice, so that my voice bounced against the walls of the buildings that surrounded him, that he couldn’t get a hint on where I was actually watching him from. Careful to stay in the shadow, I laid down languidly on the ledge of the building I was atop, stretching.

Thankfully, my breakfast had been finished before my trusty second-in-command, Faith, had barged through the door, crying out that the Hunter had finally reached my town, and was demanding for my presence. I figured that since I had a bunch of time on my hands, I could check this famous Hunter out.

After all, there were very few hunters still brave enough to stand up against me. Any hunter had to know my name. Knowing my name, my strength was almost the basic requirement to enter organizations now, I heard.

The blood from my breakfast settled quietly in my stomach as I stared up at the full moon, admiring her beauty. I was born under this full moon, the very same moon that watched over me when I was turned into a nightstalker too. This moon was almost like a guardian angel to me, watching over me without fail every month, as if she were checking on me.

“I came here with a reason, and I shall complete my objective before I turn away, Nightstalker.” The Hunter’s voice was surprisingly high, almost reaching the soprano level as he spoke up, letting his words echo.

“Your objective is to end my long life, is it not, Hunter? I say it not possible for today, so why don’t you turn away, and come back some other time, when I’m feeling like ending my life?” I didn’t bother with the projecting of voice this time, twirling a lock of stray black hair that blew across my face.

“I did not come here from so far, just to turn away, Nightstalker, Keeper of this domain.” The Hunter seemed unfazed as his voice kept leveled. Kudos to him; he didn’t even sound slightly strained when he spoke. It was odd for a hunter to not tremble in my presence, but, again, he was the Hunter.

I rolled from the ledge of the building, feeling gravity pull my body downwards to the street. However, I twisted in mid-air, landing perfectly and lightly on the balls of my feet just a few steps away from where the Hunter had stopped. He was pointing the tip of his stake at me, but I only kept his eyes with mine.

Damned, but he was gorgeous. He had totally chewable lips, my height, and a perfect model-like face. His shoulders were so broad that I was sure he could just swallow my body up if he hugged me. And I wasn’t a petite girl myself. His muscles were clearly well toned as he stood before me, tensed up. But he wasn’t bulky with muscles. No, in fact he was lean and slim, and his tight-fitting black shirt hugged onto his abs as if they were stick-ons.