Chapter 20

Chapter 20

A wave of nostalgia washed all over me as I appeared at the riverside. I saw the broken railing, the part where Vin had torn off to use as a weapon. I saw the gushing waters, felt the cold air. I breathed in deep, expelling it in a sigh of relief. There was nowhere in the world that I could compare Seattle’s cold air to.

Even though I’d been living with Kote for the past few months, I had no single freaking idea of where Kote kept his hidey hole. There was never a window, and the design of the rooms showed me nothing. I couldn’t even place my mind on where in the whole Earth Kote hid himself –and me.

But I was back to Seattle.

Closing my eyes, I used my newly learnt skill and changed my appearance. Instead of the Dru I normally was, I changed into a normal young woman, tweaking my hair color from my natural bright red to red with blue streaks.

Then I reconsidered it, and changed it to black, to fit the clothes Kote had taken upon himself to gift me. Kote was definitely someone who knew how to buy woman’s clothes, because, for the few months I’d been with him, the clothes I wore were simply gorgeous upon my body. I was almost close to getting fashion advice from my Master.

Closing my eyes, I willed myself to appear before the Dark Wind.

Lanier was there, his trained eye scanning the place. His eyes narrowed as he spotted, but he showed no signs of recognition.

“Who are you? Why have you come here without the permission of the Keeper?”

“I am aware that your Keeper is temporarily not around. I’m only here for a short visit. My name is Lornie. Please, I only desire a drink and someone to talk to.” I made my voice indefinitely higher, making sure that Lanier wouldn’t recognize me. With my new appearance and rumor of my death, the only people I was afraid of recognizing me were Lanier, Faith and –maybe, just maybe –Cole.

Lanier scrutinized me carefully, and I struggled not to burst into tears and hugging him. I’d never ever thought that I would return to Seattle, and see him so vigilantly guarding Dark Wind. Being absent these few months; I had missed Seattle so much.

“Who is your Master?” He asked carefully.

I stilled for a short while. Should I tell him? Wind or Kote? No, it would raise alarms, without a doubt.

“He is long dead and none of our concern at the present.” I announced with finality in my tone. Even without my normal appearance and voice, Lanier knew the sound of authority when he heard one.

“Come on in. Speak to Faith; she is the one in charge while our Keeper is away.” Lanier grumbled as he opened the door behind him, shifting to one side to allow me in. I thanked him politely and walked in carefully.

The air of coldness that slapped me caused the air inside my lungs to rush out. My nightstalkers were there, still drinking. But chat was practically non-existent. Words were not exchanged as everyone only managed to look more brooding than anything. They just looked at each other over their cups, silently exchanging looks. No one, other than Faith, looked over to where I was. Cole was leaning on the table at this stall, hiding his face in the sanctuary of his arms.

I looked around, pretending to be new to the Dark Wind. Nothing had changed, but yet everything seemed new and different to me. Jaye looked up as I approached the bar, her eyes impassive as she tracked my approach.

“What will you have?” Her tone was all business; none of the friendliness she normally used when I was around.

“Bloody Mary with a kick.”