|ONE|

The Lesbian in Black:

|ONE|

“You’re staring again.”

My eyes that were glued to a certain blonde sitting underneath the same willow tree that I had seen her in every day snapped to where the voice came from. Brown eyes that held so much amusement stared back at me as he took another bite of his pear. A smirk tugging those shaded pink lips of his and I knew he wanted to laugh but did his best to chew the fruit in his mouth than spit out pieces of it. 

I rolled my eyes, doing my best to not stare out the window and zone in on the certain girl who sat by herself reading a book like always. It was hard for me not to do just that when someone was watching my every move. By someone, I meant my best friend Jacen. 

He was the only friend I had in this school that knew of my fascination on this particular girl. He called it a ‘crush’ each time she became a topic in our conversation - which was practically every day - but I don’t think I saw it as a crush only a mere…fascination. I was fascinated by this girl. Intrigued, perhaps. I mean, who wouldn’t? The girl was beautiful. Her blond hair was usually in a bun or ponytail that revealed more of her sharp features but when she let her hair loose on those rare days, it felt like I was watching a goddess roaming through the halls of Vessel Lake High. 

I may be exaggerating a little but that’s how I saw this girl. She was pure perfection - far more from the beautiful women throughout the world. Apart from her features and silky hair, those mismatched eyes of hers were the best. She had only glanced at me once in the hallway where I caught the perfect view of her eyes. A deep topaz blue and a vibrant jade green. Peculiar pair of eyes I had seen on a person but she was more eerily beautiful with them than any ordinary eyes. If she had kept her gaze on me any longer, I would have drowned in them without resisting the fight.

“Soon this little obsession is going to become a problem when there’s a restraining order being placed between you and her,” Jacen snickered, throwing me a wink before taking another bite of his pear.

“Shut up,” I smacked his arm and moved my chair to have me face Jacen instead of the window where I know my eyes would immediately find the girl underneath the willow tree. “I can’t help it that I’m fascinated by this girl.”

“What is there to be fascinated about, Maribelle? This girl practically isolates herself from the whole student body, always sits underneath that depressing tree reading a book, and no one hardly ever heard her speak. There’s nothing special about her just the normalcy of a teenager.”

“Maybe you need to open your eyes a little wider to see what I see,” I replied, merely glancing at him from the corner of my eye.

“Or maybe you need to stop this whole crush thing before it becomes a stalking obsession, Belle.”

I don’t have a crush on her!” I practically yelled at him.

How can you have interest on someone you don’t know their name in the first place? You can’t immediately fall for their appearance. Isn’t personality the key to the heart of a person rather than appearances? Apparently not when everyone in this school gushes over the cute and toned female and male athletes. I wasn’t fascinated by this girl just by her appearance. I was fascinated by the hidden stories in those unique eyes. I was fascinated by the tranquil swagger of hers each time I saw her walk through the halls. 

She was unaffected by her surroundings and continued to mind her own business. The time I had seen her acknowledge her fellow classmates in the hall was when one of them bumped into her. She gave them a tight sealed smile before reverting her gaze back forward and continued her way down. I knew she was different than the rest of us. She was more mature than an average teenager. With those blank eyes and plastic smiles she gave to those who acknowledge her, I knew she had many stories hidden in the dark.