Chapter 10 - Khani

This chapter has not yet been edited and finalized.

After leaving the hospital wing, Khani hoped that she'd get some wise insight about why Sora had withheld the letter from her. But as the day went on – mostly with Khani parked in front of the kitchen holovision, completely focused on the tea party and how impossibly beautiful Sora looked in her exquisite green gown – somehow, she just couldn't stop thinking about it.

"Hey, Khani," said a girl, tapping on her shoulder hesitantly. Khani shrugged her off, recognizing her immediately. It was Amity. "Khani, you need to go to your room. You're unwell."

Anger flashed in Khani's vision, red as the rising sun. "I want to see this! I want to see Henri!"

"You want to see Sora," Amity replied. She looked pained. "I know you miss her, and I know you're hurting. And that's why you need to rest. You just got sick just seeing her on-holo. Please, Khani. You're our most talented baker. We need you."

Not so self-proclaimed anymore, Khani told herself with a miniscule flash of pleasure. "I'm staying here," she snapped. "You can make do without me. You're acting like all palace operations depend on me!"

Amity flinched. "What's happened to you?" she whispered. Then she whirled around and bustled off back to her station.

As soon as Khani's eyes were back on the holovision, she knew Amity was right. She wasn't doing anyone any good by obsessing over Sora's tea party. But she looked so happy there, so natural. It was as if she was born for fame, and all Khani was destined for were cracked hands and labor.

Sora was laughing. Had Henri made a joke? She remembered her visit earlier in the day and felt her cheeks go hot. She'd just gotten the news of Sora's participating in the contest, and being sent to deliver Henri's oil pastels didn't make things better at all. It was like having an eternal ache in her chest, throbbing, insistent. And she was in despair.

"No, no," Sora said, holding up one hand. Her face creased into laugh lines. Khani could scarcely believe that this was the same girl who complained day after day about Marisol's antics. She seemed to have put that far behind her now. "I'm telling you! I'm the daughter of a noble!"

One girl – Pandora Remena, Khani remembered, with her stunning red hair – leaned forward arrogantly. Khani hated her on sight. "Weren't you homeless for sixteen years?"

"I was," Sora replied, calmer now but still grinning. "I promise, though. Temu Larkwood!"

Henri gawked at her. "But – I remember him!"

"You'd have been a year and a half old when he died!" Sora replied, throwing him a masterful eye-roll.

Emmalee and Rosaline were smiling as well, but it was Jemma Dotina who leaned forward. "What happened?"

"They drowned," Sora said quietly. Any trace of a ladylike giggle was gone now, replaced by a somber, tight-lipped frown. "Both of them. On the Sea Sapphire."

Queen Regina, who Khani hadn't even noticed yet, gasped. "They were on the Sapphire? Weren't they the only two deaths?"

"I think the captain went down, too," Sora said. "But I'm not sure." She sat back and sighed. "If they'd just gone mountaineering instead of whale-watching."

"A mountain lion would have gotten them," Pandora Remena sneered.

Queen Regina looked scandalized. "Lady Pandora!"

Pandora's eyes widened. "Oh. I'm sorry, Lady Sora." But she didn't seem very sorry at all.

"It's fine," Sora forced out. She turned to Henri. "Do you know what department he was in?"

This is a test, Khani realized. And Pandora knows she just failed it.

Henri tilted his head. "Council," he told her at last. "I believe he worked under Sir Marfleet."

Queen Regina smoothed her skirt as a servant appeared with a tray of cookies and gently-frosted scones. Khani felt a tug in her heart as she recalled making those treats by hand only that morning, thinking maybe the royals would be having them for breakfast. If only that had been the case.

The servant laid down the platter and Queen Regina plucked one off the top and bit into it, closing her eyes. Savoring the taste. The queen likes my baking!

"These are scrumptious," she remarked after swallowing.

Sora nodded, having taken one herself. "I have a friend," she said. "Her name is Khani. She bakes in the palace kitchens." Khani's chest warmed as Sora continued. "She's incredible. I've had enough of her pastries to know she made these. Aren't they divine?"

"Khani?" Prince Henri mused faintly, studying one of the scones. "I've met her, if it's the one I'm thinking of."

Even from far away, Khani felt Sora's jolt of surprise like an electrical shock. "You know Khani?"

"You could say that," Henri said evasively.

He remembers me!

He remembers he remembers HE REMEMBERS!

Khani felt like jumping for joy. The prince – the love of her life – remembered her! Of course, it'd still be fresh in his mind, with her having had a crying fit in his room only that morning. The tear tracks still burned her cheeks.

Sora cocked her head. "When did you meet her?" She gave Henri a devilish smirk, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "Spill the beans!"

"It's not important," Henri muttered, looking thoroughly embarrassed. "She's sweet though. I would've shared my pastels with her if she'd stayed."

Khani could imagine the gears working in Sora's head. Perhaps her friend wasn't the most educated of Arehlians, but she was still intelligent, and the words were laced with meaning. If she'd stayed? Khani almost heard Sora's thought process. What does he mean, if she stayed?

Sora was concerned for her.

It was in that moment Khani knew she wasn't mad.

She was devastated, and she was trying to hide it from herself.

I'm so sorry, Sora.

Khani gazed at the holovision with new eyes. The smile wasn't carefree, and she could see dark circles under a layer of makeup. Her eyes were tired. Sora was scared.

I wish I could help you.

But you didn't trust me.

And you were right.

I'm so, so sorry.