The Riddle of The Sphinx

Shalquoirs snoring grew increasingly louder as the teacher droned on about trivial things. Lilith nudged her friend, gesturing with her pencil at the teacher just as his eyes fell on the groggy girl.

“Ahem! Miss Hohenheim. Would you kindly tell us what Oedipus’ answer to the Sphinx was?”

She eyed the room, who eyed her back, stifling snickers at the girl's expense. Lilith tossed a concerned glance to her, tapping her feet and biting her pencil. “Mhm. A simple question requires but a simple answer.” Shalquoir came to her feet, her chest puffed out and chin held high. “But I am not simple, dear instructor. It may have seemed like I was resting, but I assure you, I was only ruminating on the philosophy of our titular Oedipus.”

“Why don’t you answer the question, weirdo.”

“Silence, foolish boy.” She snapped. The boy who’d spoke up sank back into his seat. “Now, the riddle of the sphinx. What at first may seem odd indeed is actually quite simple--”

“Do you know the riddle, Miss Hohenheim.” A single bead if sweat snuck down Shalquoir’s cheek. And it only made Lilith feel more sorry for her friend. The giggles around the class grew louder; enough that the teacher had to glare at the students to silence them.  “Well?”

“B-but of course! A simple riddle, without a doubt, and one with an easy and quick answer.” Shalquoir glanced at the clock. “Darn me, it seems to slipping my mind. Lilly, dear, mind refreshing my memory?” She looked into Lilith’s eyes, sifting her thoughts for an aid.

What is the creature that walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon and three in the evening!” Lilith machined gunned through her thoughts in less than a second.

“Man, of course.” Shalquoir answered aloud. She flicked a thumbs up to her before sitting back down. The class looked rather disappointed that they couldn’t see the weird girl squirm, but Lilith was just happy her friend wouldn’t be put on the spot.

* * *
Lilith crashed down on the bed, burying her face snuggly in her favorite scarf. Shalquoir paces the room, her hands behind her back as she sorted her own thoughts.

“I hate this place,” She said with venom. “I hate the instructors, I despise the lessons, and I especially detest the students!”

“That doesn’t include me, does it?” Shalquour eyed her friend before a smile came to her face.

“I won’t spare you from my undying hatred, Salem.”

“Oh yeah? Well, why don’t you come over here and show me your ‘undying hatred’?”

Shalquoir growled before launching herself at Lilith, wrestling around before pinning her to the bed.

“I thought you were stronger than that, Lilly. I told you all that laying around is gonna make you chubby and weak.” She lifted Lilith’s shirt and pinched her stomach.

Her face glowed a bright red. “I'm going to kill you once I get up.”

“You? You’re about the softest girl I know.” She lay down beside her, nestling underneath Lilith’s chin. Despite her earlier threat, she welcomed the small girl. They lay their together, staring up at the star speckled ceiling. Lilith did always have a fascination with space, despite the sheer impossibility that she’d ever get to go there. In space, there is no cover from the sun. She’d faced the fact long ago, when she’d understood the dangers of that “life bringing” star.

She squeezed Shalquoir close to her, resting her forehead against her friend's cheek. “Don’t let them get to you. They just don’t understand you like I do.”

“Come now, Lilly. I’m sure you of all people see it. I’m no fit in this place. A vampire girls who’s bloody family is at war with one another. The girl with the insane father. The girl with the imaginary sister. I hear it all, I have, and if so many people are saying it, then maybe I’m the problem--”

Suddenly, Lilith silenced the girl with a kiss to the lips. It took a lot of courage, but Lilith was an impulsive beast. Shalquoirs face glowed like hot coals. “Shh. You really do talk a lot. But I love it when you talk.”

“T-then why’d you tell me to hush?”

“Because, I want you to talk about something nicer. Tell me about your sister.”

“Vermis? She doesn’t like clothes very much. Plus, she’s a damned barbarian, just like you. The two of you’d be thick as thieves.”

“Oh, shut up!” She silenced her friend with another kiss. One that lead to many, many more.