Lodestar

Some time earlier. Few years)
“Ah, Countess Salem! Didn’t expect to see you out here!”

Lilith stopped working on her project and peered up at the pale boy. “Andras? What’s up?”

He kicked the snow off his boots and made for her. “It was a pretty fair night, so I decided to breathe some fresh air. Dealing with my sisters can get quite hectic.” Lilith sat up, wiping away the grease from her face. Andras looked puzzled. “Uh, what exactly is it that you’re building?”

“Oh, this? It’s a rocket.”

“A rocket?”

Lilith nodded. “Yeah. Once it’s finished, I’m going to send it into the sky.”

“Oh? What ever for?” Lilith looked at him for a long moment, and he chafed. “Err, my apologies. I shouldn’t pry. Please, carry on.” Andras began to leave before Lilith stopped him.

“Hey, hold on. Don’t go just yet.” Andras stood, watching her dig around in an old toolbox. “I was never really good at building stuff, so this rocket really means a lot to me. When I send it up, it’s going to go into space.”

“Space, Countess?”

She nodded. “Oh, and just call me Lilith. I’m not even a countess yet.”

“You’ll be graduating in three years, correct?”

“Yeah. Still some ways to go. But before I graduate, I want to send this rocket to space.”

Andras sat down beside her, bundling up in his fluffy coat. “So, why do you find space so fascinating?”

Lilith brought her knees to her chest and looked up at the stars. “Because. . .I know that’s where she is now.”

“She?”

“Mama.”

Andras recoiled. “Oh, oh Countess - Lilith, I’m sorry. . .I had no idea.”

“She’s still alive. She’s just up there, keeping us safe.” She pointed towards the North Star. “You see that one? My dad said that his mother, my grandmother, used that very same star to navigate her way through a forest while carrying her baby.”

“What exactly does this have to do with your mother?”

“It was also mama’s favorite star in the sky. She’d always stare out at that star.” She turned to Andras and grinned. “I’m going to send my rocket to it. That way mama will definitely see it, and know it’s me!”

“So you want to say hi to your mother? Is that it?” Lilith nodded, a wide grin on her reddened face. “That’s sweet, Lilith. You’re a good daughter.”

“Hey, you’re a good son, too.”

Now it was his turn to stare out at the stars. “My father pays me no mind. He doesn’t pay my sisters any mind, either. And mother only tends to father. She never has time for us.”

“Huh? Aren’t your parents royalty?”

“In title alone. All the riches in the world mean nothing when your parents think you a nuisance.” Andras curled up in a ball. “If I could, I’d trade in all our riches for my sisters, mother and father and I to have a meal all at the same table. For father to speak to me, and tell me stories of knights and Kings again. For mother to sit by my bed and kiss me into a good sleep.” Andras must have sounded spoiled to a normal person, but if you were in his position, you’d understand that having parents who forgot you exist is not to far from having no parents at all.

“That’s. . .wrong.” Lilith muttered.

“Please, don’t feel as if this is a burden I’m placing on you. It’s just. . .good to have someone to share my thoughts with.” Lilith smiled slapping the boy on the shoulder.

“Whenever you feel alone, come here. We can build our rocket together!”