Forbidden Fruit

The next night was free, meaning there’d be no lessons and the students would be free to roam about the Circle.

Lilith bolted through hordes of students, many on their ways to the perimeter to mingle with the humans. It was true that many of them feared the vampires; and the tax in blood didn’t paint a much prettier picture.

Lilith, however, was on her way to the local human ran store. Her sleeping companion deserved a pleasant surprise.

“Blablabla! I’ve come to drink your blood!”

The huge guy behind the counter made a cross gesture and held it out. “Back, fiend! My holy power repels you!” They both shared a good laugh, and the other girl at the counter joined in.

“Beautiful night, isn’t it, Bronson?”

“Beautiful, and long. Like, damn, how do you guys make it last so long?”

“Magic, you big dummy!” Answered the girl at the counter. Lilith tilted her head, trying to discern who she was.

“Katalin?” The girl turned around a smiled. To say she was beautiful would be an understatement. The girl was downright painfully gorgeous. It’d seem that her face had been carved from the tree of life. She had full, pink lips. High, freckle splashed cheekbones, and dark silky hair that hung at shoulder length. More than that, her developed body had curves so taught, the eyes had a hard time following them. Even Lilith felt a little jealous, but what else would you expect from a nigh perfect gene pool? Her sister looked nearly identical to her, but for some reason couldn’t match the glow that Katalin radiated.

She moved a strand of hair from her eyes and waved. “Hey, Lilith. You look pretty tonight.”

She blushed, stumbling over her words. “Ah, thanks, Katalin. You come here for the same reason I did?”

“Depends, what reason did you come?” She leaned towards her and smiled warmly.

“I wanted to surprise Shalquoir with something. You know, make her smile.”

“Shalquoir? That’s your girlfriend, right?” Lilith swiveled her head to Bronson, her face glowing once again.

“Girlfriend? C-come on! We’re just partners.”

“Do you like her?” Lilith nodded. “Do you love her?” Lilith nodded again. “Well, then she’s your girlfriend silly!” Katalin laughed and put an arm around her shoulder. “Don’t hide from your feelings. Embrace them! That’s what my sister always says, and it works wonders for me and Bronson.” She flicked a glance to her friend and winked.

“Well, what should I do?”

“What should you do? I’ll tell you what you should do; show her your love. Love her to death!”

Lilith raised a brow, but smiled in the end. Out of all the vampire Lilith has met, Katalin was by far the most upbeat.

Lilith left the store with a bow in the shape of a bat. Both her and Shalquoirs favorite animal. Sometimes, Lilith wished she could turn into a bat like in the films, and fly off into the night sky. She’d close her eyes, and pretend she was in space, whipping through the cosmos like a rocket.

Whenever she looked up into the night sky, she thought of her mother. Her birth mother. What many would refer to as her blood Majesty, Lilith called: mama. She could still see her vividly, due to her vampire memory. She could see her genuine smile, the twinkle in her eye as she looked down at her baby. The sadness that encompassed them as she knew she’d have to return to her place of origin. It was her mama that kept her safe, preventing the things on the outside from reaching this world. And the scarf she left behind worked the same purpose. To keep her safe from the things that lay beyond.

Who else would be strong enough to keep the Maxim and it’s kin in check?
* * *
“Lilith.”

“Lilith? I was thinking something along the lines of Hroki, or War child. Something with power!”

“No. Lilith shall be her name. Lilith. . .my own mark on history. . .”

Isaac stared at the mother of their child in awe. “Hey. . .Shana. . .are you crying?”

She lifted her hands to her radiant orange eyes. “Of course not! All powerful beings such as I do not shed tears--” She looked down at her baby again. Her beautiful child, with dark, red curls, and healthy skin. The child she had created. “My Lilith. Remember these words. Become great. Do not let them praise you for your bloodline. Have them praise you for your own power. Be to them what I could not.” The baby began to bawl, and funny enough, both mother and child cried their first tears together.
* * *
“You don’t usually talk about your mother, Lily dear. Why’s that?”

Lilith squirmed in her seat, sliding the glass blood flask from one hand to the other. Anna leaned in, smiling coyly.

“Come now, sister. She doesn't want to talk about it.”

“I know, I know. I’m just curious is all. Here I’ll tell you about our mother. She’s a bloody who-”

“Sister!” Katalin cried. “She is not. . .that!”

“Not what? You know good and well that those ‘stillborn’ weren’t father's. A sick Lie that went bad is what it was.”

“Anastacia!” She said, standing up. The two looked almost identical, even though Anna was a good two years older. There brother, Andras, was even younger. Katalin tried to make her face seem scary, but all she really managed was to imitate an angry puppy.

“All right, all right. Take it easy before you poop yourself.” Sat back down, huffing and taking a swig of blood. Lilith tossed her glanced between the two of them awkwardly, before being suddenly surprised by an arm over her shoulder.

“Hey there, you sexy barbarian.” Shalquoir leaned forward, sniffing the blood that wafted from Lilith’s flask. “Lilly. . .mind giving me a sip?” She slid her flask away in a defensive maneuver, insighting a laugh from Anna and Katalin.

“Doesn’t look like our Lily wants to share, sweet Shalquoir. No worries, I’ll gift you with my own.”

“No, that’s quite fine, Bathory.”

Anna raised a brow. “Oh? Why decline my kind gesture?”

“Because I’d rather not repay that ‘kind gesture’.” She said solidly. Anna shrugged, not responding. Lilith knew the two were at odds, but chose not to get involved for good reason.

“Hey, I’m going back up, sojourn at your leisure, Lily. Oh, and thank you for the bow. I’ll treasure it forever.” She smiled and bounded off. Lilith stared back at her, feeling happy at the gift she’d given. But deep down she thought to herself: what do I feel?