looking back

//

Hey.

It's been two weeks since we last talked properly, and I haven't had the courage to embarrass myself again. To look like I've been worshiping every step you took; to appear like I've been begging for every drop of love and attention you could give.

I've been holding it all in. I held my heart in my hands, completely guarded by fingers wounded and palms bruised by time, just so it could not walk back to you.

But today, I saw you. I was just on my way home, when I heard your voice like you're just a meter away from me. I kept on walking; I couldn't hold on to uncertainty.

A few steps after and there I was. Looking back. Seeing you again. Dropping whatever I have in my hands. 

Unfortunately, it was my heart.

And I could never forget how you didn't even bother to lift your face because if you did, you might have seen me. We might have shared stares. We might have exchanged smiles. We might have acknowledged each other's presence. Maybe call each other's names, if my imagination permits - but none of those things happened. Maybe in my head, but it all ended at that.

I turned around, again, love, and smiled to myself - asking the same question all over and over again.

When will I get ever tired of looking back?

//