11

"...we are who we are in this world of sin and evil."

Her words echoed in his mind as she fell back asleep under the dark sheets, skin as pale as the moon with hair so dark it resembled night.

Kevin couldn't deny who he was, who he became. And after all this time with Elizabeth he had finally accepted it unlike his old enemies who were trying to hunt him down now.

He wouldn't have cared if it weren't for the woman he loved sleeping next to him. She had given her heart to him and he found he had given her his.

But a future together?

He was merely hoping for some sort of happy ending for them. But villains don't get happy endings. He knew that deep down.

No matter what Jessica would go after them and easily target his new weakness, a woman with kindness as vast as oceans. He couldn't let her get hurt.

But running away? It wouldn't matter. As long as Elizabeth stayed with him, she would forever be in danger. And despite the risk he knew she would stay, but he found he couldn't let her. She didn't deserve to.

Lightly his lips pressed against the smooth skin of her forehead as he made his decision.

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

She had a life to live, one without him. A better more cleaner version that didn't tangle in the shadows and fall in love with monsters.

He could give her that.

He would give her that.

*
The End