Chapter I : HER

Year 2003.

The first day of my sophomore year felt like a mixed emotion. It's sad that I won't be joining my closest friends in the same section. We were parted based on our previous year's academic performances. But it's also exciting to meet new people and make new friends.

As usual, we introduced ourselves to our new teachers and classmates. Then after every class period, we got some time to bond with our seatmates. And I was seated with a group of girls who liked to talk about their latest fashion trends, hottest campus heartthrobs, and so many other things that made me cringe.

And because I didn't want to associate myself to them, I kept myself busy doodling cats on my notebook. Their loud chattering halted for a moment when a girl from the other row joined them. I thought they were all old pals. I looked up to see the newcomer, and when our eyes met, I felt a force between us. It's Newton's law of universal attraction!

I quickly looked away, as I felt my heart pumped faster than its regular beats. From the corner of my eye, I saw her still staring at me. She's talking with her friends but I heard she asked them to include me in their chatter. And since I didn't want to be rude, I let myself to enjoy their girl talk. But when they started asking annoying questions, I just always smiled. They wanted to know if I'm still single; if I'm into cutting classes; or if I'm interested with their group. Honestly, they all looked like cheap girls --- except that girl with those chocolate brown eyes.

Few days passed. It's break time. My friends and I were busy talking outside, not far from my room, when I noticed somebody lurking around my desk. I didn't saw the face but I knew it's a girl because of the uniform. When the classes resumed and I got back inside, I saw a note on my desk, with a name and mobile number written on it. It's asking for my mobile number too. Well, somebody did it again.

I'd always been receiving such notes whenever I returned to my desk after break time. And sometimes, there were gifts too like heart keychains. Then one of my classmates told me that those stuff came from the girl who was sitting in the other row.

I was holding the note when I looked at that girl. She's the one with those chocolate brown eyes! And her nickname had to be Azil --- which means protector or guardian.

To my surprise, Azil was also looking at me, like she'd been waiting for a reply that long. But I got nervous, and didn't know how to deal with it. So I ignored her, as if our eyes didn't meet a moment ago. I kept the note inside my skirt's pocket, and focused on our lecture. Though in my peripheral view, I was able to see that her one eyebrow raised like she's questioning what I did.

Four months passed, Azil and I rarely interacted with each other since then. We didn't also have common friends to hang out with. And every time she came near me, I had to keep myself busy just to avoid her.

Lunch time came. My dear friends from other sections were already waiting for me in the canteen. So I joined them, and then sat beside one of my bestfriends, Zec, who's like an older sister for me.

I embraced Zec lovingly when they started reminiscing the time we all met and the goofy moments we had. Sometimes, our group would laugh out loud that some students would stare at us. And I was about to tell another teary-eyed moment with them, when one of my friends secretly jerked my knee under the table. And I knew what it meant: there's a person behind me.

I simply counted from one to five before slowly turning my head. Then I saw Azil. She's staring at one certain spot --- my arms around Zec! And her stare scared me like it's coming from an angry cyclops' laser eye.

Azil ran outside. And without words, I pulled myself from Zec to follow her. Then I ran as fast as I could. But I could hardly keep up with her pace. I didn't know she could run like that.

At last, I found that girl sitting under a mango tree... and crying to her chest.

Why was she crying? Was I the one to blame? But what did I do? And why did I have to follow her even if we're not yet friends? Why did I have to worry about her?

I slowly walked towards Azil. And again, my heart beat faster than its normal rhythm. Perhaps, I was so scared to approach her. But when I came nearer, I had to give her my handkerchief.

Azil didn't accept my offer. So I knelt in front of her, and stopped her hands from wiping the tears off her cheeks. I gently wiped the tears from her face using my handkerchief, and asked her why she's crying.

To my surprise, that girl held my hand tighter, and said, "I didn't know that you were already unavailable. If I have known it, I stopped giving you letters and gifts, and didn't have to expect my feelings to be reciprocated. Is she the reason why you're ignoring me? I always do things to make you notice me but it's not working!"

I chuckled. I never thought Azil could be such a cutie. So the reason behind her tears was her thinking that Zec and I were a thing!

I playfully pinched the tip of her semi-red nose and said, "You wanna know a secret?"

She nodded. And I smiled, and continued.

"Azil, I never once ignored the sweet things you did. Although I didn't know who's the mystery person behind it, I still treasured them. But when I knew it's you, I still can't approach you. I'm so shy, not brave enough to talk to you like what a friend should do. And you know, every time you're near me, my heart thumps so loud and my body temperature goes below sub zero. I'm too nervous to think of what I'll do next.

By the way, I don't even know why you're crying here. Is it because of ---".

Azil didn't let me finish my sentence. She pulled me close to her lips... And she stole my very first kiss!

---

Daily Updates on Dreame: https://www.dreame.com/novel/1963920-Milena.html