July 23, 2154

Dear diary,

            I took the book to Henry today. I read another book while I waited for him to read it – it took him about an hour, but I wanted to know his opinion as soon as I could, so I waited.

            As soon as he finished, he looked up at me, rather skeptically. “Look, Sophia,” he said, “I’ve never read this book before, but I’ve read lots of science fiction books. They are called science fiction for a reason. This isn’t true. There’s no need to worry.” “But it seems so possible!” I exclaim. I’ve never been one to believe stories or silly things like that; I wouldn’t even let my mother read Cinderella or other fairytales to me when I was younger. I’ve always wanted completely true stories. But this is different. What if it is true?

            Henry was watching my internal conflict. When he apparently decided I was calm enough to resume conversation, he said, “Sophia, you’ve never been this gullible before. Is something up?” I didn’t know what to say. Am I just being stupid?

I told him it was nothing; that I was just making a big deal out of something and I realized now that I was wrong to.  He laughed a bit, and we slipped back into our regular way of conversation, joking and so on. But I still couldn’t shake that suspicious feeling in the back of my mind.

I’m returning the book tomorrow.

                        -Sophia