August 15, 2154

Dear diary,

It’s early morning; I just got up for school. I decided to bring my laptop to school today. I might enter in here during my free period. I’m very excited about my tutoring tonight and I’ll be reviewing my notes at every chance I can get.

It’s my free period right now and I’ve been preparing all day. When I saw Mrs. Meyer today, I told her I’d been studying for the tutoring this afternoon; she seemed pretty confused for a few seconds. But then she said something like “Ah yes, the tutoring session… yes, I hope you’re ready…” I told her I definitely was. A week or so ago her vague speaking would have struck me as weird, but I’m used to it by now. She speaks like that pretty often. She might have ADHD or something. I don’t know.

  Just an hour until my first tutoring session! It will be so great to help people. I love helping. I’ll make an entry after the session.

I just got home from the so-called “tutor session,” and my life will never be the same again.

I learned so many things that had been hidden from me for my whole life, and found out that things I had been told were all lies.

I’ll start from the beginning.

At 3:45 on the dot, I walked into Mrs. Meyer’s room, mentally reviewing my notes over and over. I already had them memorized, of course, but I just wanted to make sure I said everything correctly. Anyway, when I got there, only Mrs. Meyer was there. This wasn’t too surprising, since the students weren’t expected until 4:00, but I thought there might be some other tutors there besides me. Apparently not.

I decided to just make small talk with Mrs. Meyer for the time being.

She started out by asking to make sure I’d reviewed the subjects she’d given me; I assured her I had. “That’s great,” she said, nodding. “Especially… science? Biology?” “Yeah, I spent about the same amount of time on each subject. Why? Do we have a lot of students that need help in that class?” That’s what I assumed. But her answer didn’t quite come smoothly. “Stu-? Oh, um, yes. Yes, we do.” I just decided she was slightly nervous; this was her first time doing an after school activity, especially with topics outside for her subject.

She asked me if I wanted to review a bit in the 15 minutes we had left. I agreed, and she started asking me questions so quickly that I sometimes had trouble understanding her. She quizzed me on cells, atoms, the atmosphere, and other basic stuff like that. I knew all the answers.

But then she said something strange that caught me off guard. “Tell me about extraterrestrials.” “What?” “You know, aliens and stuff.” So I started to tell her about aliens.

I told her that they are beings that live on other planets; not even in the Milky Way. They have large, bulbous heads with huge black eyes. I told her about how their green skin stretches tight over their thin, small bodies. I described how they have 45 chromosomes, unlike our 46, so it’s a mystery to scientists how they reproduce. I talked about how they can’t digest human food, and how they don’t even breathe oxygen. Lastly, I told her about how some aliens have been found on Earth, matching these traits or at least bearing a large resemblance.

By the time I’d finished, she had an odd smile on her face. I was wondering if my research had been correct. When I asked her, her smile spread and she said, “Oh, hardly.” I was shocked; I had spent an hour on Thursday night checking and double-checking my notes to make sure everything was correct.

When she saw my bewildered expression, she said, “Oh, it’s not your fault. Your sources were just wrong. Actually, aliens look and act a lot like humans.”