Where it began

I was running on the path that led through the rose bushes. Different mixtures of red, orange, yellow, pink, and white flew past me as I ran. The cool breeze was nice against my face as I ran, and the way the sun was setting made the sky a perfect orange. I could hear the footsteps behind me start to fade away as I picked up speed. I turned the corner and hid behind an orchard tree. I heard the footsteps run past the tree and further into the forest of fruit trees. I stood up and ran back on to the path. I looked around to see if there was any sight of her...nothing. I began to slowly walk the opposite way I heard her footsteps run in. I began to slowly walked back to the path. I made it to the middle of the garden. 'where did she go?' I thought to myself.

"Boo." My scream was muffled as I quickly rose my hands to my mouth. I turned around to see my best friend rolling around on the floor laughing. Her hands clutching her stomach in pain.

"Oh, your so gonna get it." I said as I ran towards her. I bent down and began tickling her.

"Stop it J-Jonathan... stop... I can't... I can't take it... y-your gonna... your gonna make me pee." She said in between laughs

"Eww." I said as I stood up. I dusted myself off and expected Lux to be up and standing next to me, but when I looked to my left she was still laying on the ground. "What are you doing?" I asked. She put her hands up and grabbed at the air. "Help?" She asked. I rolled my eyes and smiled at her before reaching out and helping her up.

"Only you Lux." I muttered as she dusted off her dress. The dress she was wearing was black with a red rose floral pattern on it. The straps were black and connected in the back.

"Thanks Jonathan." She said to me. I was about to reply but she cut me off "Tag. Your it." She poked me and ran off. I began to chase after her. Her dress and her ebony hair flying behind her and intertwining with the air as she ran. We ran through the orchard trees and through the apple trees. No matter how close I got to her she always found a way to slip away before I could tag her. We turned corners, circled trees, and hid behind bushes. By the time we were tired, and deprived of our energy, it was already dark and the stars were brighter then ever. Lux needed to get home or her mom would get mad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you have to go?" I wined as we walked down her street.

"Yes, Jonathan. I have to go." She replied with a smirk. Her hands were in the pockets of her dress and her hair was lightly flying behind her shoulders.

"You suck." I mumbled as we walked.

"You know, for a 13 year old. You really do act like a baby sometimes." She said. Her smirk turned into a toothy grin, showing off her her perfectly white teeth.

"Thanks, that means a lot." I said with a smile. She nugged me with her elbow and giggled. Her hands standing their ground in her pockets.

"Is it so bad that you really don't want to go home?" She asked as her smile faded away. The mention of me going home made my smile fade as well.

"Yeah." I said quietly. "You don't know what it's like to live with my great grandmother." I said in the same quiet tone as before.

"Yeah, I guess I don't." She replied in a sad tone. I know she felt pity for me, but there wasn't much she could do about it. We walked the rest of the way in silence. It took about two minutes till we reached her house, meaning, it took about two minutes till my happiness turned to sadness.

"I really don't want you to go." I said as we walked up on to her front porch.

"Well, I really don't want to go." She replied. She smiled and pulled me in for a hug. When she hugged me, it felt like the world stopped and time slowed down. The sweet sugar and strawberry sent she owned filled my nostrils and made me feel like I was in heaven. I didn't want it to end, and it seemed like she didn't want it to end either.