Four: Absence and Panic

Previously on: The Mystery Of Ariella

So its the last day of the trial. And Ariella's voices thought it would be a dandy idea to just leave her out of the blue. Haha no. So she goes up to be questioned and says some really harsh things that i think we all know will be used against her. So everyone gets mad at her, Mr. warren, even Cy. But the main question is, where did Cy go? Well lets find out... *bum bum bummmm*

      The sunlight peered through the open blinds. I really need to close those next time, she thought as she flipped away from the light. Once again, a warm smell drifted up her nose. It had been exactly three days since Mr. Warren dropped her off the night of the trial. In those three days, Cy and Jamie seemed to have cleared her mind. No one would speak to her, even if she asked or wished they would. The few nights were spent wandering her thoughts alone. And the days were spent in silence. Mag had stayed quiet, waiting patiently by the door for the letter of the jury’s results. She would sit in her old leather chair. Ariella asked why she owned such a sophisticated seat. “It was your grandfathers.” She said, staring off next to her. Her eyes were blank as if she were trying to listen for the sound of a single cricket. No words were said after.

      It was nice. To be able to think and choose on her accounts, no one could pressure her think or act in a certain way. She hoped it would stay like this for a while, only a little bit longer. Maybe her grandmother would let her go to a public school, one with children her own age, children who she could touch, see, smell. They would come up with something. A handshake maybe, and they would laugh about the crazy, troubled kid Ariella used to be. Some of her teachers would like her, and others wouldn’t. And maybe, just maybe, she would be normal to get into a relationship. No more Ross, or Cy, or Jamie, or Jude. She could move on.

      So as she lay in her bed, a rush of excitement went through her. With a wicked smile she ripped off the covers, ignoring the sudden chill and dizziness as she stood up. Without getting dressed, she silent slid her door open. Its white frame was still imprinted with Ariella’s little fingerprints that were smeared there when she was a child. On the tips of her toes, she crept her way down the hall, passing the series of doors. Ariella bit her lips anxiously when the heel of her foot slipped and made a loud creak in the floorboards. Past the corner, she could faintly see the back of her grandmother, who was slightly hunched over a bowl, vigorously mixing sweet dough. With a swift movement she jumped from the corner right behind her grandmother.

      “Mag!” She squealed, softly grabbing her shoulders. Mag gave a slight yelp and dropped the bowl on the counter, giving a thin crack.

      “What the hel-” Mag gripped the edges of the counter but stopped herself and turned around to her, smiling. “What do you want?”

      Without a word, Ariella wrapped her arms around her thin bones, almost breaking her in half.

      “What is wrong with you?” She laughed as she pried Ariella off of her.

      “I’m normal. They’re gone, those bloody beings left.” She started laughing. A mechanical laugh, as if she was convincing herself that their absence was a great thing. Slowly, she fell to the floor, clutching her side and giggling helplessly.

      “What is wrong with you?” Her grandmother repeated as she reached fro Ariella’ hand. She stiffly pulled her up and reached up to wiped off the dirt smudged on her cheek.

      “They’re gone.” Ariella panted, “Jamie, Cy, Jude, the voices, they’re all gone.” Ariella smiled at her grandmother with a look of triumph. It was the best smile Mag had seen in ages. “Can I go to school now Mag?” Ariella stood in front of her, a light radiated off her face. She was half-expecting for her grandmother to look the same way, a look of total excitement. But Mag stood there. Her mouth formed a perfect ‘o’.