Chapter 27 it wont be like this for long

Chapter XXVII
It won't be like this for long

He didn't have to wake up
He'd been up all night
Lying there in bed and listening
To his newborn baby cry
He makes a pot of coffee
He splashes water on his face
His wife gives him a kiss and says
It's gonna be okay
It won't be like this for long

"It's your turn," Meredith groaned as she tried to hand a screaming Alison off to Derek. It had been exactly twenty-four hours since Carolyn left. Twenty-four hours of Meredith and Derek alone with the twins.

"I don't know what to do!" He exclaimed as he grabbed her from Meredith.

"I don't either," she groaned. She looked over and saw a sleeping Evie, she didn't even seemed phased by her sister crying. Ali started to settle as Derek started circling the room and bouncing her against his chest.

"Keep it up," Meredith sighed as she slumped onto the bed. Alison had been crying for the past three hours for no reason, they had tried everything to make it stop. She had a clean diaper, she ate and still cried, and she also kept fighting her sleep.

Derek kept doing exactly what he was doing, bouncing Alison in his arms as she soothed her crying. Anytime he tried to stop, she would start to get cranky and cry again. He did it for another thirty minutes, until she was in a deep slumber as he laid her into the bassinet. They both held their breath until they saw she was continuing to sleep.

"I'm going to make coffee," he mumbled as he walked into the kitchen, still exhausted from the rough night. Alison was having a hard time sleeping, she wouldn't sleep unless she was on someone's chest and now they had to be moving. He looked over and saw Izzie coming down the stairs, she looked tired also.

"I have to find a new place," she groaned as she sat on the bar stool.

"Sorry Iz, i didn't know she kept you awake too," Derek replied as he just watched the coffee drop into the pot.

"It's fine, I'll just catch some sleep at the hospital. When do you come back?" She asked, Derek had been on paternity leave since they were born and they were going on five weeks old now.

"Next week, Meredith still has another three weeks. I feel bad for leaving her but Susan will be here when Lexie isn't over here," he shrugged as he poured himself a cup of coffee, drinking it black because he was too tired to add anything.

"Good luck," Izzie nodded before getting a cup of coffee and going back upstairs. Derek downed his coffee and went upstairs again. Meredith was passed out across the bed, curled up on his side of the bed. He just shook his head as he went to look at the girls. He sensed Evie beginning to wake up, she was making faces as she started to stretch out. He quickly grabbed her up so she wouldn't start crying as he held her close to his chest.

"Mer," he whispered, trying to wake her up.

"Hmm?" She groaned as she just wanted to sleep.

"Do you want to breast feed or just want me to give her a bottle?" He asked.

"Bottle, sleeping now," she replied before falling back into a slumber. He quietly made it down to the kitchen again where he started to warm her bottle as she started to cry.

"Here baby girl, give me a second," he said as he bounced her against him and use his free hand to make the bottle. He managed to do it one handed, surprising even himself as he rearranged her in his arms and started to feed her.

"There we go, happy as can be," he smiled sleepily as she sucked away at the bottle.

"I miss your nana, somehow she made it easier and it's only been one day," he sighed as he continued to talk to Evie. She finished and he burped her as he returned her to the laying position in his arms. Her eyes were wide as she looked up at him.