Ceremony

Jareid lied in bed with Tygra's unmoving form in his arms. He had the unwelcome feeling that he was holding an unresponsive doll. He knew that Tygra was awake, but had not made any attempt to change his position. There was no more sobbing, and no more tears. The jaguar prince was confused. What could have triggered Tygra's outburst? Was his brother really that important to him?

Jareid felt jealousy rise in him all of a sudden. Tygra was his! He should not have such strong feelings for anyone else! He was his family now!

He grabbed the back of Tygra's head and forced the teen to look at him. He wanted to make it clear that Tygra didn't need anyone else but him. However, the brown eyes that stared back at him with no emotion at all stopped him on his tracks. They were dull, and dead. Jareid had the impression that those eyes were staring right through him and not seeing anything. He didn't like them. He wanted Tygra to react, and so he said the first thing that came to mind.

"So much grief over a troublesome kit. You don't need him. I should be good enough for you!"

A mirthless phantom of a smile, and then Tygra spoke, his voice monotonous and as dead as his eyes.

"Funny you say that. When it's I the one not good enough. Never good enough."

Jareid scowled at Tygra.

"What does that mean?"

The tiger shrugged and continued staring at him. He made no move to try to free himself from the painful grasp that Jareid had on his mane.

"It doesn't really matter. It's just a matter of time before you too decide that you want something better. Someone better."

"What are you talking about? How many times have I told you that you're mine Tygra? You belong to me! You're my gift."

"So you say. So they said too."

Jareid blinked in confusion. His free hand grabbed the tiger's jaw a bit roughly.

"Who?"

"They. My parents. Mother used to tell me that I was their gift. Her little prince."

Jareid softened his grip on Tygra. He didn't know what to say. He didn't know how to deal with Tygra's strange mood.

"Your birth mother?"

Tygra shook his head in denial. He gave a soft sigh, but his voice continued in its dead tone.

"Never met her. I don't remember anything before Thundera. They said that I fell from the sky in a floating basket. The king and queen had wished so long for a cub, so they took me. Mother said that I was a gods' send. Something precious."

Jareid looked as Tygra's eyes filled slowly with sadness. He wanted to growl. He didn't consider that as an improvement. Tygra continued after a short pause and a soft sigh.

"But I wasn't what she needed. They didn't want a tiger. She tried again to get pregnant. To give Claudus the heir he wanted. I couldn't be the future king. Mother wanted a lion cub, even if it killed her… and it did… She died because I was not a lion."

Tygra's eyes focused and Jareid knew that he'd never forget the hurt reflected in them.

"So, you see? In the end, not even a gods' gift was good enough."

Jareid growled and held Tygra close. He didn't know what to do. How could he ever hope to comfort Tygra? The root of the problem was deep within the tiger's past. Jareid understood that Tygra felt abandoned. Not wanted.

"I'll never leave you." He said because he honestly couldn't think of anything else. Tygra answered softly.

"You say that now."