Retrieval

Mai was slowly making her way through the jungle. She wanted to leave the site of the rite well behind her, so there would be no delays when the guard found her. She was sure that the royal guard would track her cub immediately, and would take them both back to the city. Jareid would receive her with open arms, happy that she had proved that no one would keep her apart from her cub. A cub that was presently crying, rather loudly.

Mai didn't seem to understand that the cub was very distressed. She didn't give any indication that she was listening to his cries as she continued walking. After some time, she sat down at the foot of a big tree and started humming a nursery song. Itzamma hadn't stopped crying. He wriggled and turned, but Mai only tightened her hold on him. She finally turned her eyes fully on him and rocked back and forth.

"Shhh... Shush my little one. I know, I know... You surely missed me. I'm sorry I had to leave. There were many cats that wanted to keep me away, but now everything will be fine. Your father will come for us dear. He must have been outraged, not knowing what happened to me. The gods only know what your grandfather told him! But he will fix this. You'd see."

Itzamma continued crying.

The minutes passed by, and Mai started to feel restless. Why were they taking so long? The cub also wasn't giving any indication that he was going to settle down any time soon. Mai huffed and looked at the small kitten tiredly.

"Don't cry Jareed. I know you must be hungry, but you'd have to wait 'till we're home to eat. I hope that your wet nurse is ready for you the moment we arrive."

Itzamma didn't stop. He tried to wriggle out of Mai's arms. The jaguaress readjusted her hold and scowled.

"Jareed, stop it. It's unbecoming of a prince to cry in this way!"

The cub won't shut up. Mai growled under her breath. She didn't have any idea of what she could do to calm him down. She wondered if the tracking device was working properly. Perhaps she should have checked. She awkwardly manoeuvred Itzamma, so she could look for the tracking device without losing her hold on him. Only to discover that there was no such device on his person. No one had ever expected any of the cubs to get lost, especially when they weren't walking yet. Mai was befuddled for a moment, and then she raged in anger. How foolish was the royal guard? The tiger could have attempted to kidnap the heir at any minute! She was going to have words with the commander as soon as they get home.

Now she was faced with a problem. It would take weeks for her to walk back to the city! And the jungle wasn't without dangers. She knew that her father had taken a communicator with him. She would have to go back and find it.

She was about to retrace her steps when a familiar voice sounded from above.

"That brat doesn't sound happy. Are you sure you should be holding him so tight?"

Mai looked upwards and frowned. That damned monkey wasn't supposed to come back! She had instructed him clearly what he had to do and had given him a family heirloom as payment. She totally planned to tell him to get lost before her eyes locked on the hover bike the monkey was riding. A hover bike! Her mother's hover bike to be precise. That explained the fact that he was there at all. He should have been still around the city. Mai growled and took a step back.

"As if you know anything about cubs!"

"I know, merely by common sense, that he shouldn't be crying that loud."

"He's just hungry. How did you manage to drive the hover bike? You thief!"

"It's not so difficult. And the previous owner wouldn't need it anymore, why let it go to waste?"