Day 14| The village

Day 14| Part III

I don't know how we were not seen by the monk in the subway. Of course we were hiding as much as possible, but Sebastian's hair was able to get attention of someone on the other side of the world. The backpack he was carrying also didn't help.

"Sebastian leave this thing behind!" I almost shouted.

"No! There are useful stuff in here" He said.

"Like what?"

"Water, and... food. Don't look at me like that. I think it's very useful."

I had to turn to the other side to hide the smile that came to my lips. Why the hell that was happening?

We saw more and more stations passing by through our window; each one exactly like the other. It was funny to see the kids poking their parents to ask if the monk was an actor or something. Funnier were the silly jokes that Sebastian made me listen all way long.

"What kind of car does Mickey Mouse's wife drive? ... A minnie van!"

He leaned back in his chair to laugh.

"Ppffff I don't know what is worse: the joke or its teller." I beamed.

Another wave of laugh came from his mouth. Okay, perhaps my body couldn't contain it any longer. His laughter filled me with joy.

•••

•••

I suddenly felt Sebastian's hand on my thigh. I stayed still without breathing until his head actually turned to me. "Time to leave the train"

"Y-yes?"

"Why are you stammering?" He frowned.

"Nothing" I got up quickly, his hands slid away, and we both followed the flow of people.

The man bent corners and more corners, and increasingly the landscape became more and more ... poor. I was thinking of "dirty" or "abandoned", but those streets were not exactly like that. They were only poor. People were no longer on new shoes and dogs were no longer boasting pink collars.

I had no idea of what part of town we were. The only thing preventing me from panicking was Sebastian's presence. I seemed to receive the strength from his eyes, the courage from the contact of his hands.

The man disappeared up a flight of stairs.

"You go first." I hinted.

"Of course" He began walking. Each of his steps were full of mystery, like scenes of a type of movie I don't like watching.

I blinked my eyes several times to focus on the view from the top of the staircase. It was a crowded slum with sprayed walls. Sebastian looked at me and continued walking looking for the Buddhist Arian. And suddenly we were rudely forced to stop by two huge weapons against with our tummies.