*Chapter 1* ~ The Beginning

The moment the recess bell rings, the kids in my new fifth grade class decide they want to play tag. We eenie meenie miney, and somehow I'm it. Me, the new kid. Great.

Not.

I over my eyes to give the other kids a ten-second head start (okay, five), then run toward the fence. Straightaway, I spot Penny, who is very tall. Well, taller than me. Although most people are taller than me. She's also wearing a bright orange sweatshirt that's hard to miss. I don't know all the kids' names, but Penny is easy to remember because she always wears super-high ponytails and I just think, Penny's pony, Penny's pony, Penny's pony.

I dash over and tap her on the elbow. "You're it, Penny's pony! I mean Penny."

She looks at me strangely. "Um, no. I'm frozen."
Huh? It's not that cold. Plus, her orange sweater looks really warm.
"What?" I ask.
Penny wrinkles her forehead. "You tagged me. I'm frozen."
"Noooooo," I say slowly. "I was it. I tagged you, so now you're it. Now you have to tag someone else to make them be it. That's why the game is called it." I blink. "I mean, tag."
"The it person has to tag everyone," Penny says. Her tone suggests she knows more about tag than I do, and my cheeks heat up. Because she doesn't. "When you're tagged, you freeze, and the very last person tagged is the next it. It's called freeze tag. Got it?"
The LAST person to get tagged gets to be it? If you're the last peron tagged, that means you're the best player, you should get to do a happy dance while everyone throws confetti on you. You should not have to be the new it, because being it is not a reward.
My heart sinks. If I have to be it until every last fifth grader is tagged or frozen, this is going to be a very, very, VERY long game.
Here's the thing...

A/N: Read the next part to find out more about Abby. You guys might think I say thank you too much, but I'm just happy I'm not wasting my time and your actually reading this. So thank you 😊