Chapter 2 - Continued

"I know how to tell the time," Jonah says, all huffy.

"Then why did you wake me up?"

"Because I saw purple, too, and I wanted to show you," he says, then waves at me to follow him. "Come on, come on!"
   Huh? He saw purple?
   I sigh. Crumbs. I get out of bed, step into my striped slippers, and follow him.
   "Wait!" I say, spotting his bare feet. I steer him to his room, which is next to mine. "You need shoes, mister. I don't want you cutting your for on a piece of broken mirror glass."
   "But there's no glass."
   He broke a mirror and there's no glass? I point to his closet. "Shoes!" It's my job to protect all of him, even his smelly feet.
   Jonah's room is bright, because of the glow-in-the-dark stars stuck to his ceiling and his red clock. Not purple. Red. Jonah grabs his sneakers from the floor of his closet and shoves then on. Are you happy now? Let's go, let's go!"
   "Shush!" I order. Mom and Dad's door is closed, but their room is just down the hall. Mom will not be happy if we wake her up. (She already got annoyed at me today when I told her she was stuff minutes and forty-five seconds late picking me up at school. I didn't mean to make her feel bad. But I have a super-cool timer on my watch, and if I'm not going to use it to tell her how late she is, then what am I going to use it for?)
   We slink down the first flight of stairs. They creak. A lot. Finally, I reach to open the door to the basement.
   I freeze. I freeze as if, well, I've been tagged. Because the truth is I am possibly not the bravest girl in the world. And it's late. And were going to the basement.
   I prefer reading about adventures, not having them.
   "What's wrong?" Jonah asks, sliding in front of me and down the stairs. "Come on, come on, come on!"
   I take a big, deep breath, turn on the basement light, and close the door behind me.

A/N: Some questions to think about.
Is Jonah over exaggerating things?
Is something dangerous about to happen?
How is a mirror broken without any broken glass?
How is it purple?
Why is it glowing?

Thank you again for reading 🤗