Chapter 1 - Continued

Here's the thing. I am trying to have a fresh start and be flexible about my new school. But how can I when the people here do EVERYTHING wrong?
Please allow me to present my case.

1. Everyone in Smithville calls Coke, Pepsi, and Orange Crush soda. Ridiculous, right? Pop is a much better name. Pop! Pop! Pop! Coke pops on your tongue. It doesn't soda on your tongue.

2. The people here do not know how to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich. The right way is to slice the banana and then press the slices one by one into the peanut butter, preferably in neat and orderly rows. But the kids in my new school mash the bananas, mix a spoonful of peanut butter into the mashed bananas, and then spread the whole floppy mess on their bread. Why oh why would they do that?

3. And now, instead of tag, they want to play, "Ooo, Let's All Be Frozen Statues While Abby Runs Around and Around and Around."

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury:
I do not want to call pop soda.
I do not want to eat floppy banana mush.
I do not want to be it.
"I'm pretty sure the way I play is the right way, I say, my throat tightening. I'm right. I am.
"No," she states. "I'm frozen. And you'd better get going, or else it'll just get harder."
Tears burn the back of my eyes. I don't want things to get harder. I want things to be the way they used to be. Normal!
"No thanks," I say in a careful voice that's meant not to let my tears out but might sound a little squished. Or prissy. Or spoiled-brat-y, possibly.
   "You're quitting?" Penny asks. Her eyebrows fly up. "Just because you didn't get your way?"
   "No! I'm just... tired." I'm not even lying. I am tired. I'm tired of everything. Why can't things be like they used to be?
   I go to Mrs. Goldman, the teacher on playground duty. I ask her if I can go to the library.

   "You mean the media room, hon?" she asks.