11 - Paths

"Natomi! Natomi!" Takuma yelled, running through the village.
He had Satuya in his arms and was running around the marketplace in a panic.
"Natomi!"
"What are you yelling about, Takuma?"
Takuma turned as Mayori stared at him from the corner.
"Have you seen Natomi? I need him now."
"He's at the smithy getting his blades sharpened. What's the big idea?"
"None of your business because you don't care." He yelled, running toward the smithy.
Mayori made a face but just continued to eat the apple he was eating with his dagger.

******************

"It seems to be getting straighter every time I use it. I think maybe the blade needs to be replaced or someone has been sharpening it wrong." Natomi said.
The blacksmith looked over his blade and nodded.
"I can see where it's straightening. You'll need a whole new blade entirely. It'll take about a month to get a good one. I'm swamped right now with repairs. Luckily we haven't been called to scout or anything but yours will be the first one I work on. I have a feeling there are a couple of other ones who will need new blades as well."
"That's fine. Take your time. I'd rather you do it right than sloppy and make me get my head chopped off."
"Natomi!"
Natomi turned as Takuma got to the smithy, breathing heavily. Natomi made a face at him and then at Satuya, who was nestled in his arms, seemingly content.
"Why do you have Satuya with you?"
"There was... no one else... to watch him..." he breathed out.
"You could have just put him with Tsume. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded."
"That's the point, Natomi! Tsume is gone!"
"Gone? Where to?"
"I don't know! I woke up with this note was attached to my door with one of his throwing stars. Look!"
Natomi took the rolled up paper from Takuma and over looked it.

Takuma,
I have caused everyone much pain. I had no intention of making this as dramatic as it has been the past weeks. I just wanted to formally apologize for what happened to you. I cannot forgive myself for ignoring your screams, for they haunt me every night. Please know that I truly do love you as a brother. Please tell Natomi that I have left Satuya as a gift to the Kayoshi Clan, a peace offering of sorts. Not to burden you further, but he is all I have to give. I have taken Kisola with me and we will live in Laota. I believe that with your kindness and Natomi's determination and virtue, you will have him grow up to be a fine boy. I do not have that sort of magic...

Please forgive my intruding on your lives and maybe you can live normally again.

I'm sorry,
Tsume

PS: Please at least try to tell my son of the good things I've done. I don't want to be worshipped but I never meant to hurt you, Takuma. Please find it in your heart to say something nice.

Natomi crumbled the letter in his hand and closed his eyes.
"He shouldn't be moving at all! That idiot kid! Takuma, go give Satuya to the doctor and get Mayori and Hachi for me. We need to find him and bring him back."
"Why?"
"He's still very weak! Come on, stop holding a grudge and think of his safety."
Takuma looked down at Satuya, who was sucking on his hand, and then up at Natomi.
"I think he was saying goodbye. Formally... I don't think he wants us to follow him or care about him anymore."
"That idiot kid doesn't know what he wants." Natomi growled, walking away.
"Natomi! Wait..." He turned around and Takuma held up Satuya. "He gave away his son, Natomi. He gave him to us as a peace offering for messing up our lives. He gave away his son.. I think it pretty well explains the intent."
Satuya looked at Natomi and Natomi pinched the bridge of his nose.
"Shit... Are you going to take care of Satuya?"
"I... thought about it but, I'm not fit to raise anything. You've raised Inoue and you're good with him..."
"Do you even care?" Natomi growled, crossing his arms.
"Yes, I do. I care that he left his son here and made us deal with it."
"You know that I meant Satuya!"
"Well of course I do! Who doesn't care about a baby?!"
"People like babies but I want to know if you care for this baby." Natom snarled, pointing at Satuya. "Would you want to have it know that you knew his father? Would you want him to know you as a friend or as another comrade? Just a face that comes by every so often... What do you want to be for this child? What do you want him to see when he looks at you?"
Takuma looked down at Satuya and licked his lips a little.
"I want him to know me..." He handed Satuya to Natomi. "Place me as whatever you see fit for him."
Natomi looked down at the baby as Takuma walked off and looked down at him. He sighed but touched his face gently.

*********************

Tsume looked down at Kisola in his arms and put his hand on his stomach. He was in a lot of pain but he knew it was the right choice. He didn't want to leave Satuya there but he wanted his son to be a ninja, to grow up strong and have good values. Not that the Laota couldn't do that, but because he wasn't a Laota, Tsume couldn't resume his ninja duties and Satuya would never learn. Satuya was born to a ninja and he would be raised a ninja.
Kisola, he could raise to be a good wife, a good person. He would also teach her some shinobi ways so that she could defend herself but what was expected of her was far different than Satuya. He was not denying her anything.
Tsume winced at a pain that shot through his stomach and seemingly up his spine and he hissed, getting down on one knee. He let the feeling pass and then stood back up, looking around.
"Walking stick... walking stick..." he said, looking at trees and trying to find a branch that was sturdy enough and close enough. "If I were my normal self, I would just jump from tree to tree but no... I'm cut like a stuck pig. If it weren't for Satuya in there that lit up from the inside, I would have never have been able to get you guys out. You both would have probably died along with me... I still wonder what you are but I'll love you all the same. I just hope that they will accept your brother. He would have come with us, but he has so much more to live for. You would be content with the Laota, I know it. He has my tenacity already, so I know the Laota life isn't for him. I'll miss him though..."
Kisola just stared up at her father and he smiled at her.
"You're cuter too, by the way." Kisola only blinked. He pulled her to him and kissed her forehead. "You're precious to me. Come on, let's go to our new home."
He continued to look for a walking stick as he made his way to the Laota Clan.