Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003)

Game: Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003)

Genre: Racing

Platform: Nintendo GameCube

European Box-art for Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Overview

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is the fourth installment in the Mario Kart series and the third for home consoles after Mario Kart 64. Before it was Mario Kart: Super Circuit for the GameBoy Advance, which came out in 2001- and following it was Mario Kart DS in 2005.  Double Dash, like previous titles, challenges Mario series player characters to race against one another on Mario-themed tracks. 

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! introduced a number of new gameplay features like co-op with two players per kart with one player driving, the other managing items. It also supports LAN play using the Nintendo GameCube Broadband Adapter (now that's quite a mouthful!) which allows up to 16 players to compete simultaneously. 

The game received positive reviews by critics. Metacritic gave it an 87 out of 100. Reviewers praised the added features and graphics, but weren't too happy with the voice-acting. Double Dash did commercially well. 3.8 million copies were sold in the US alone.

Double Dash was first shown at as a seven-second video clip. The clip featured Mario and Luigi driving their karts on a 3D surface with no background. At the time, it was early in development, and the working title of the game was simply Mario Kart. In April 2003, Nintendo released the first pictures and details of the game, as well as revealing the title to be Mario Kart: Double Dash!! At E3 2003 , a playable demo of the game was available. New features, such as having two characters drive one kart, had been implemented.

The seven-second clip  of when Double Dash was in early development

Plot

Race for first place! Avoid those damned Koopa shells and Blue shells! (Oh my goodness! Blue shells drive me crazy, especially when I'm doing so well on a track!) 

Yeah, it's a racing game so it doesn't actually have a plot.

Unused items from the beta version