Chapter 15 (Lilla)

Ryan and Mitchell are friends again, apparently. The stakeout is tonight.

"So, have you guys decided what you're going to be for Halloween?" Emily asks. At least it's actually October now.

"We're all seventeen and eighteen. A little too old for trick or treating, don't you think?" Answers Kelli. Amazingly, she and Jemma are actually working instead of trying to impress Garfield.

"Actually, I have an idea for Walrus Hut," Emily says proudly. "On the weekend before Halloween, we have some kind of holiday deal where if you come in costume, you get some kind of discount!"

"I like it! Let's do it!" Says Bridget excitedly.

"Whoa! Slow down. We have to discuss this with everyone before we put signs up." I say, and they all groan and are silent. Journey walks over to us.

"Guys, there is a record dealer here, so Amber, you might want to play a few songs before he leaves." She says quietly.

"Record dealer? I'm going to get Zach!" Says Evening.

"Oh no, you don't!" Says Emily, and she jumps up to grab her instrument. After they perform, Journey bursts out laughing.

"I was kidding!" Evening frowns,

"Well, if there actually were a record dealer here, then he or she definitely would have picked us."

"Uh, no way!" Answers Kelli sassily.

"Uh, yes, way!" Zach snaps his fingers in front of her face.

"You guys aren't mature enough for a real music career." Says Amber.

"Then it's war!" Says Zach, and Journey stops laughing.

"No! Can't we all just get along? I was dared to do that! By the way, I am missing Ryan performing a Mexican dance along while singing a song!"

"Ooh, this I gotta see!" I follow Journey into the kitchen.

                                                                                                   ***

We have just locked up when Ryan says,

"Argh, my mom is only letting me stay till 10:00! Stupid curfew." He says angrily. I pat his shoulder without looking up from my phone. Someone calls me, and I go to the kitchen.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Lilla, it's Gabby!" Oh no! 

"I just want you to know that there are no hard feelings between us because your thing survived and Sandwich Palace didn't."

"Shouldn't you be talking to Bridget about this?" I ask tiredly.

"Oh, she is. We're on a conference call." Says Bridget as she walks into the kitchen.

"So I was wondering if I could work at Sea Lion Shop instead!" Gabby says excitedly.

"It's Walrus Hut." Says Bridget.

"Whatever. So what do you think?"

"We would have to talk it over with the guys first." I start.

"Oh, who cares what they think?"

"Uh, we do." Says Bridget.

"Yeah, they own Walrus Hut too!" I put in.

"Okay, maybe we could get together tomorrow and talk about it!" Says Gabby.

"I don't-" I start to say.

"I wonder what that dreamy Ryan is up to."

"GABBY, THAT IS DISGUSTING!" I yell.

"Plus, he has a girlfriend." Says Bridget.

"And who might that be?"

"Amber," Bridget says very quietly.

"AMBER!?" Gabby screams so loud that I have to hold my phone a foot away from my ear. Amber runs in.

"I heard my name! Are you talking to Gabby?"

"Look, Gabby, I have to go." I hang up.

"Yeah, me too, bye." Bridget hangs up and runs off. I walk out, and Mitchell jumps in front of me with a handful of dandelions.

"Iloveyousomuchwillyougooutwithme?" He says super fast. I don't even have time to sort out my feelings when Justin bursts out laughing.

"Haha! That was hilarious!" No one is laughing but him.

"I'm sorry! I was forced!" Says Mitchell. Journey kicks Garfield in the shins! Ooh, ouch. A high-pitched squeal comes from his mouth.

"AH! WHAT, AH, WAS THAT, AH-AH, FOR?"

"For being such a jerk!" Are Jemma, Kelly, and Bridget seeing this? Nope. Apparently not. 

"Fine! But I'm telling mom!" Amber smiles a little bit.