Chapter 1 The Bringers

It began with a phone ringing in the night, but no one was ever there. I  ran downstairs to answer the phone. I picked it up, and I put it to my ear.

"He- hello?" I asked. The other end was dead. It sent a chill up and down my seemingly weak spine.

"Is anyone there?" I asked again, there was no reply. I hung the phone up and put it on the counter. I fell to the ground holding my knees to my chest. Why now? Why me?

    Earlier that day, I was hanging out with some friends of mine. We were out of school for the weekend and it was halloween.

    "Hey, Adeline, would you like to go trick-or-treating with Sarah, and I?" Sophie asked.

    "Sure, if I can," I replied.

    "It's okay if you can't, but we're going to the haunted house this year," Sarah explained.

    "Umm, okay," I said slowly. I turned around and looked at the sky.

    "What's up, Ady?" Sophie asked.

    "Well, the sky seems different today. It is almost eerie," I replied.

    "Don't be such a fraidy-cat," Sarah said. Pushing me lightly on the arm. The truth was I seemed to be the only one who cared what was happening to the sky. To me it seemed important that I knew what was going on around me, and I tried not to be an oblivious person, the way many teens had become.

In spite of what I thought, I said,"I'm sure it's just the way the sun reflects off of the clouds."

    "Don't be such a nerd," Sophie told me. But I wasn't. I was just covering up something that they didn't believe was bad, or even the slightest bit strange. So, I continued to walk with them.

    The sky continued to glow an eerie color throughout the day, but I tried not to notice. I was too busy caught up making my own costume for later on tonight. I was going to go as someone from my favorite Anime, and it was coming along nicely. Sophie and Sarah had come over to my house to make decorations for this small in-home halloween party that they were planning. I finished sewing that last stitch in my new costume. and watched them make new decorations and fix the lighting so it would be perfect.

    I honestly didn't understand why they would have a halloween party when we would just be going to the haunted house later anyway. While they worked, I relaxed and drank a glass of lemonade.

    "Hey, would you mind helping me string these streamers?" Sarah asked.

    "Sure," I said. I put down my glass, and I got up out of the chair. That's when I saw the hammer and nails.

    "Hey, umm, I don't want to make you angry or anything, but my parents aren't going to be very happy about the nails in their freshly painted walls," I said.

    "And what are you going to do about it? I mean, it's not like I will get into trouble or anything," Sarah said nastily.

    "But," I mumbled. She had no right. I didn't even want to do this stupid party, or go trick-or-treating with them. That haunted house was a joke too. I didn't need to get into trouble on top of that. Sophie pulled out the hammer and a nail. Please don't. She set up the nail. No. Then, she hit the nail. NO!!!

    "Ugh!! I can't believe you!!!! Get out of my house I officially cancel this..." I was interrupted by a loud sound outside the house.

It was already getting dark outside, and most people had already decorated for halloween. So, what could that sound be? I decided to go and check it out.