6. Tingles tingles tingles

Jordanne had gone out to meet Zachary, the usual. My palms were getting clammy as the seconds ticked by.

Call me tonight.

Shawn's words rang in my head and as hard as I tried, I couldn't get it out of my head. It refused to leave and kept reverberating in my mind. I was supposed to call him. But at what time? What circumstance? What were we going to talk about? What if things got awkward? Ugh! Haley just pick up your phone and call the boy! I groaned.

Deep breaths, in-out, in-out. Okay.

My shaking fingers lifted my phone up and I tapped on the keyboard. Pressing on Shawn's contact and finally, the call button.

Ring, ring, riiing, ring-

"Hello?"

Oh my god, he answered! A lump formed in my throat, I couldn't speak or rather I didn't know what to say to him. On impulse, i pressed the bright red button.
...
Hales! You look like such a idiot now! Calling a boy, when he picks up, you just had to end the call. Shawn's never going to look in your direction again. Talk about confusing, what you did there was the epitome of it! Just-

Ring! Riiing.

"Hi, is this Haley?"

Deep breaths.

"Yes. Oh, Shawn? Yeah sorry, i called you then I accidentally dropped my phone, ugh. I'm so clumsy." I hoped I told a believable fib.

"Hahahaha....Anyways, uh, do you want to meet in Condor's common room on Friday? A friend of mine is celebrating his one year anniversary with his boyfriend. Thought you might fit the guest list." I smiled at this.

He had to be talking about Bradley, the intimidating jock and his soulmate, Valen. Everyone knew about this power couple, they were well-loved by all. Suri knows Valen personally and he's a great guy. I didn't know Shawn was friends with them, maybe he caught up with them over his hiatus. Getting invited to their two year anniversary was a huge deal, especially when Shawn thought I would fit in with Condor seniors perfectly. Eek!

"Um. Can I bring a plus one?"

Shawn's tone changed completely from warm and friendly to cold and neutral. He must've sensed that I reacted to it and cleared his throat.

"Yeah. Totally. I'll inform the couple. I'm sorry Hales, I have a dorm meeting in like 30 seconds. Bye. See you!"

Actually, talk about confusing.
...
The week passed in a blur I couldn't comprehend. Jordanne was busy with Netball events and Malia was pulled into the net of supplementary class by her physics teacher so I hung out in Suri's dorm to get ready.

"How did you even get invited to Bradlen's anniversary? You don't really know them. Valen invited me, but I wasn't sure if I could attend until Thursday when the roster changed," Suri said as she rumaged through her closet.

I sighed. Keeping secrets from my best friends was awful, Jordanne nearly dug it out of me. They didn't know anything about Shawn and I being friends. Maybe it was time to come clean.

"Um...Shawn Mendes invited me."

Suri paused, stared at me with wide eyes then squealed. She picked up her phone.

"Jor! Malia! Our girl has a date!"

Oh god.
...
We ended up arriving fifteen minutes late. Trudging across campus in a mini skirt and crop top was quite a shameful thing. Malia insisted I wear something eye catching, something bold, something that made every girl envy me. I, on the other hand, thought I looked like a potato that was stuffed into a small jacket, jacket potato. Jacket potatoes may be tasty but looking like one wasn't exactly the most flattering thing.

My outfit consisted of a tan coloured sleeveless knit nurtleneck shirt tucked into a burgundy suede skirt and some suede knee high boots. At least I hoped the colours matched. I trusted Jordanne to be my coloured vision.
My entire being was shaking, teeth chattering winds could blow me off my feet. The girls shoved me out of the door before I could grab a coat.

Suri skipped beside me in a comfortable set of a black cropped long sleeved sweater and some skinny jeans. Her heels kicked away small stones that littered the path.

"Oh! I see Condor, hurry up Haley!"
...
"Darling! Suri love, you made it. Come, Bradley's so excited to meet you," Valen paused when he saw me. "My, you have to be Haley. You look amazing, I can see why my boy Shawn spent so much time talking about you. Come, both of you must meet Brad." Valen looked different from the last time I saw him.

Bradley must've dragged him to the gym, gone was the skinny nerd and in place was a hunky Valen but probably still a nerd. His dreadlocks were now a brilliant pink, a new septum gleamed against his dark skin and his lip piercing was gone.

"Bradley! This is my beautiful best friend, Suri and my new-ish friend, Haley," Valen introduced us.

How dare you call my best friend your best friend. Oh wait, this is Valen. He's cool.

Bradley, who sounded like a blonde white boy was actually a handsome tanned Korean boy. His chiseled jaw made me think twice about confronting Valen, that jaw could cut my head off. After shaking our hands, he wrapped an arm around Valen's waist. Val, who was at least two inches shorter, leaned comfortably on Bradley's shoulder. Brad kissed the top of his forehead before letting him go.

My heart clenched, why was I so single?

Suddenly, two hands covered my eyes, barely brushing my eyelashes.

"Guess who?" A cheeky voice teased.

"Um, Shawn!"

He removed his hands.

Strong arms pulled me closer to him, I hoped my shoulder blades didn't hurt him. Shawn picked me up from behind for a hug. Tingles shot through me and I felt a magnetic pull to him.

What was this?

Whatever it was, I hoped Shawn felt it too.
_______________
YASSSS WE PASSED FIFTY READS
I'M SOO HAPPY.
but I genuinely want all reads to be consistent and smooth like please guys please. LET'S TRY AND GET TO 70 READS BY CHAPTER 10 OKAY
PLEASE
if this book flops, i will unpublish it because I know i will lose motivation and leave it for 84 years. But thanks for reading, i really appreciate all the support

ALSO I APOLOGISE FOR HAVING A MESSY UPDATE SCHEDULE, I'M CURRENTLY ON HOLIDAY BUT I've WRITTEN CHAPTER 10 ALREADY. #soproductive
Shoutout to bae aka notalexandralahfor being so supportive.
VOTE AND COMMENT

tish