4. New boy

"Diana sent an email to the office. She's alright, her parents are coming down later," Felicity filled us in. No other details were released. She looked rather relieved although her eyes showed signs of misery. Felicity absolutely loved Diana, just like everyone else in Corden did.

Malia smiled though her swollen eyes gave away the fact that she spent majority of Saturday night in Jordanne's arms crying. Sunday morning seemed like a real bittersweet moment. I'm sure Suri would have heard the news, but prefectorial duties keep her busy as a bee. I wonder how she ever has time to meet Tyler, her soulmate.

He was the polar opposite of a prefect. That boy was a whole lot of angst, brood and sin. Tyler, like Shawn, was also a year older so we rarely saw him during school hours. We never quite knew what he was like. Malia, Diana, Jordanne and I would always coop up in our rooms and speculate on what Suri and Tyler were doing, same for Jor and Malia

Now that Diana was gone, i was the only one left without a soulmate but who said i couldn't date?
...
Malia and I headed out to The Sugar Packet. One of the two cafes on campus, TSP was much closer to Corden than Leaves and Beans and they served better coffee but I would hike across campus for Leaves and Beans' food. Malia pulled her cream coloured scarf tighter around her chest, grumbling about how cold it was.

"So......"

I rolled my eyes at Malia. She pouted at me.

"Haley....ugh. Fine! Just wanted to remind you that Suri won't be able to take Shawn on a new campus tour forever. She'll eventually need a breather and when she does, i know exactly who to look for."
...
With tall cups of steaming coffee in hand, the both of us wandered round to Maki!. Maki! was a brand new Japanese restaurant on campus, other than sushi I had in Tokyo and Hokkaido, they had the best.

Malia grabbed her favourite unagi don while I chose tempura udon. The both of us also picked up some sushi to share. Before Jordanne could cut my head off for not getting her favourite chawamushi, i ordered it.

No sooner had the clock struck five, i made it back to my dorm and unwrapped my delectable udon than i got a message from my German teacher. It was too meet her at the media block as soon as i could to collect my project grade. Suri had gotten hers and scored an A. Unlike me, she excelled in German and pretty much everything.

Sighing, I placed my tempura back into the fridge, grabbed my fluffy  white coat and left for the media block.
...
Mrs Krämer eyed me and scanned my outfit which to her, wasn't class appropriate. It consisted of a short grey spaghetti strap dress, thick black leggings, a pair of Jordanne's knee high boots and my coat. I grinned sheepishly. Seeing my grin, she sighed and rubbed her temples.

"Here's your result, thank you Haley," she acknowledged. Surprisingly, Mrs Krämer beamed at me. "Congratulations Haley. Hard work pays off." I slowly peeled open the report card.

I screamed.

A gorgeous A* was written at the top corner. I left the media block with a enormous smile on my face.
...
"Oh my god! I'm so sorry." I gasped out and pulled my hand back when another reached for the metal door handle.

"No way. It's fine. I'll get the door for you."

I paused. That voice. I knew that voice, but i didn't dare look up to the person who towered over me. Instead, i let my gaze fall to the floor. Wow, the cleaners did a great job, there wasn't a single crumb on the carpet.
The door scratched open. I walked forward, my boots crunching on fallen dead leaves that scattered all over the pavement, a constant reminder that autumn was coming really soon.

"Have we met before? I'm new here. My name's Shawn."

Oh okay.

"Shawn Mendes."

I stopped in my tracks.
I froze and not because i was cold.
My breath halted and not because of the sudden gust of wind.
My heart was going to leap out of my chest.
I felt butterflies come to life in my stomach.
It felt like time stood still as I finally lifted my gaze.

Disheveled brown hair, deep brown eyes, the same blue sweater he wore every single Friday to the library, new skinny jeans but the same boots.

I gulped and let out a breath i didn't know i was holding.

Get a grip Hales!

"I don't believe so. I'm Haley Evans. Welcome to Waltington."
_______________
well now it starts to get interesting
i hope ya'll are enjoying it so far :) Please comment and vote

tish