The Lord Eldin

Around midday on the fifth day, Link stopped his horse. Concerned, Zelda halted her own and immediately scanned the trees and tall grasses for enemies before looking back to her companion. With the pace they'd been keeping it would be no problem to reach Kakariko by evening, and she'd been under the impression that they weren't going to stop for at least another hour.

He had unslung the Master Sword from his back, and was quickly untying the cloth covering that concealed its iconic hilt and sheath. "... What are you doing?" They had a ways yet to go, and having it out in the open in potentially hostile territory was asking for trouble.

"Well," he began, still tearing at the bindings, "I was thinking that I've been gone a while now. Most of Kakariko is heavily opposed to the Queen, and if they've gotten enough resources to oppose her openly... I don't think a Sheikah would be safe going into town."

It... Made sense. A lot could change in the month or so Link had been away, and if the rebels based there had gained enough support from the rest of the townsfolk then it wasn't hard to see the town being militarized. In the long run it would be a huge advantage for them to have an entire town openly on their side, but she couldn't help but feel a twinge of sorrow. Impa's ancestors had been the ones to found the town, ages ago, and it was sad to see a day where the Sheikah were unwelcome there. But it wasn't as though she couldn't understand why, and Zelda nodded. "I understand. I'm sure there's a place nearby suitable for me to hide, or I could ask the Gorons for shelter."

Link huffed, working on the second set of knots. "No, Sheik, you're coming to town with me! Lord Eldin sends out scouts to make sure the queen doesn't send her troops our way, and if they see that I have the Master Sword and that you're with me, then they shouldn't give you any trouble."

She doubted that it would go as smoothly as Link made it out to be, but remembered how stubborn he'd been about her coming with him to Malon's farm. Going into Kakariko wasn't the most logical of choices for her to make, and probably wasn't the wisest. And if any of the rebels somehow caught a glimpse of her hand, and knew what it meant for her to be marked by the Triforce of Wisdom... If it was dangerous for one of the queen's dogs, how dangerous would it be for Zelda herself? She could only hope that they would see her as a valuable enough asset to not look a gift horse in the mouth.

He freed the sword from its covering and slung it proudly onto his back, and they continued on their way.

-----

Zelda would be lying if she said she hadn't felt eyes on them a few leagues back, but they saw no one until they reached the gates of Kakariko. The town had been built inside a canyon, which she could already tell would have its ups and downs if the queen were to bring an army. Normally, the high canyon walls would be a huge advantage against Hylian soldiers, providing both natural defense and high ground from which to strike. But if the witch used monsters and magic, it could be turned into a deathtrap. Death Mountain above them had never erupted in Hyrule's history, largely pacified by the Goron who called it home, but if it did...

The gates raised just enough for them to slip through, and it wasn't until then that she registered just how strange it was for them to be closed during the day in the first place. Looking at Link she could tell that he thought it odd as well, and Zelda wondered if they'd missed the beginning of open hostility against the queen. Either the town was expecting an attack, or they were walking into a trap. Her companion proceeded, probably without a thought in his head that he might be betrayed, and she had no choice but to follow him in.