CHAPTER 5

[Soon Hee]

I made it back home safe from Gwangju but instead of going straight to the hospital where my mom is waiting sick in her bed, I went straight to our apartment.

It is dark now and the apartment was as still and empty since I last came in. Lights filled the place after I clicked the light open inside my room.

"I am home" I tell myself feeling weak.

I left my bag lying on my bed and immediately opened the drawer from the lowest corner of my study table. I brought out one of my oldest photo album with the year 2010 written on the cover.

I know by heart what this album contains. I flip it open and Hobi's baffled face from when I took his photo showed up. This was when we first met and he was trying to introduce himself.

I smile at the thought. I traced his face with my pale finger from his unruly black hair, his pair of beautiful eyes underneath that long lashes. His perfect long nose and his heart shaped lips.

My mom used to tell me of a bedtime story about a girl who traded her voice to go back in time. I didn't understand the point in doing so before, I thought its stupid to wish to go back in time. I mean why would you want to go back in time if you could just live for today?

Its funny how simple kids think. Right now, I’ll give anything to go back in time. To go back when I was still her sunshine, and he was mine.

*Flashback*

It’s the weekend so Jae In and Yook jae doesn’t have classes. It means that I can’t sneak in to their school today. It's so much of a trouble for the two of them to sneak me in everytime but I’m always thankful that they do it for me. My circumstances wouldn’t allow me to regularly go to school. They both know that so they help me out. And yes, that is by sneaking me in the school and leaving me to my books in the library.

I get to wear Jae In’s old uniform too and how I love wearing them! Makes me feel like I am a normal teenager going to school too. I’ve always wished to go to school just like them but I can’t afford to be selfish right now. I can’t leave my mom all by herself for long. Not when its just me and her right now.

So since I got my mom to sleep now, I already have at least 3-4 hours of free time. This is when I give my mom her meds and that makes her sleep for that long. Those are the time that I use to sneak in to Jae In’s school.

“where will I go this time” I say thinking out loud. I am all set for today, wearing my light blue summer dress and white shoes. Of course I have my camera inside my bag.

“ajuhmma!” I came in smiling to the old woman right beside our house. She’s the friendly lady who takes care of my mom when I need to leave. I normally ask her to take over when she’s asleep like this so there really is nothing much to do. I just need someone to look out to my mom in case of emergency. Thankfully ahjumma is opt for the job.

“oh! You’re heading out now” she said smiling

“nae, kindly lookout for my mom this time too please” I said.

“ Don’t worry and just enjoy your day out okay” this is what she always tell me each time I tell her that I’m going out. She says that I should have a life to live being this young. I shouldn’t be locked up in our house tending to my mom all the time she always tell me. She has no idea how much of a help she is to me.

“komawoyo ajuhmma” I waived goodbye as I close the small gate to our house.

Today there is a park that I wanted to visit. Jae In told me about that park nearby their practice studio and she says it's really beautiful. I need to see that.