| 1 |

august 8th, 3009
                                                11:57pm est

"are you ready to install your timer, mr. mendes?"

was i really? i mean being a teenager and all, of course i had time to think about it. but it's better now or never because of the governments law enforcement system.

"yes."

my male nurse sits me alone in a room, after passing by multiple rooms. some filled with screams, and some filled with complete and utter silence. it had an eerie feeling that made the hairs on my skin rise. i sat down strapped to a white hospital chair.

"we will count down from 3, alright mr. mendes?"

i see the gun installment instrument on a silver table next to me, he picks it up. checking it if all was well to go through the process, i'm finally going to be able to see the countdown to find the one. sweat began building onto my hand in fear, this is gonna hurt. he wipes off my left wrist with a clean antiseptic wipe, while patting it dry. he marks where he's going to place the timer soon after with two black dots.

"3,"

he angles it above my wrist, i breath in deeply. you can do this.

"2,"

i grip even harder onto the chair i was strapped too.

"1."

in a sudden jolt, the instrument shot into my flesh, a burning sensation flew through me. holy hell. i curse incoherent words under my breath, as i shut my eyes forcefully. fuck, that hurt. finally relieving some of the frustration, i look at my left wrist, my timer still blank. i grow confused and fearful, why wasn't it counting down?

"wait, why isn't it counting down yet?"

panic replaces my pain, the male nurse throws away the gun. and starts cleaning up the blood around my timer carefully.

"it takes a few minutes before it does, give it some time."

he sounds reassuring enough, with that, he turns his heel out the door. leaving me alone in a sterile and plain environment, i find myself humming a unique tune. i begin to study the timer, it was pure white and extremely durable. meant to sustain even an elephants stomp, which i highly doubt would ever happen. looking closely, a few numbers begin appearing, my eyes widen.

this is it! i grow excited by the minute, one number being revealed after the other.

"13 years,"

it's going awfully slow, but hey, it's better than nothing.

"6 days,"

the male nurse enters my room again, unstrapping me from the chair.

"4 hours,"

i whisper.

"and 23 minutes?"

i'll be 31 by than, geez that's a long time. i'll probably be a neurologist by than.

"you've got a long way to go bud, so you're 18 now.."

he calculates the years, i do it in an instant from my intellectuality.

"your lucky number, 31. good luck out there kiddo."

he shoos me off, i chuckle walking out the strange building and onto the silver sidewalk. i look around, seeing all natural trees torn down and put up with new man made material. society had changed since the timer, back in 2968 our population had finally balanced out. we weren't over populated, the world had grown into peace, and pollution had stopped. my grandparents would tell me stories about it as a kid, growing up in canada and moving to d.c. to practice for my phd.

i'm young, extremely, but man was i excited to meet my soulmate. no matter how long it took for it to finally countdown.

                              kara's pov

"babe, stop!"

i laugh, clutching onto my stomach. his hands drag over my shoulder, and to my breasts. instantly my laughter dies down, as he massages them tenderly. i close my eyes at the pleasurable feeling.

"mm."

he begins kissing my neck, his tongue doing wonders on my bare flesh. his lips detach themselves from me, i meet his passionate gaze.

"i don't care about the timers, i know you're my soulmate,"

his voice serious, but do you? i shrug off the thought, smiling wide, as he intertwines our fingers together. firmly gripping onto me if i would escape.

"i love you, kara."

i hesitate.

"i love you too, drew."

our mouths moved against each other softly, while we laid in his bed.
the warm sheets entangling us both in a fortress of tenderness. i pull away, laying my head on his chest, you're 17... the thought of receiving a timer still roamed my mind.