| 5 |

"dr. mendes."

go away.

"dr. mendes."

let me sleep.

"dr. mendes!"

i shoot my head up, my eyes try to open, i squint as i look in front of me. alyssa has her hair slightly ruffled, in result of shouting at me for the past 3 minutes. she fixes her hair, sighing.

"there is a new patient for you waiting down in the e.r."

i groggily shake my head, kara is causing me to lose sleep. get a hold of yourself, mendes. alyssa leaves my room to another patient as i fix my desk, leaving my room as well. i try to walk as fast as i can to the e.r, mary at the front desk.

"alyssa informed me that i have a new patient."

"ah, yes. here you are."

she hands me a clipboard with my patients info.

name : logan schmitz
age : 30
date of birth : may 8, 2986
from : minneapolis, minnesota
blood type : a

i look around the waiting room, seeing only one man. he had dirty clothes on, as if he had rolled into mud.

"mr. schmitz?"

he stops looking at his muddy black boots, his eyes shined ocean blue. i'm not gay, but his eyes were beautiful.

"yes, that's me. hello."

he stands up.

"come with me."

we make our way to a private room, i sit him down on the sterile bed.

"it says here that someone scheduled a diagnostic for you."

he shrugs, quiet. he seemed fairly distant, and somewhat depressed, maybe they got his doctors mixed up. i check all his vitals, all normal, as i read more on his background. i finally read the bottom page.

severe depression
lack of focus
suicidal

"i'll be back."

i walk quickly out the room, and back to mary's desk.

"are you sure logan is my patient? he's a mental issued patient, or at least what i can analyze of from the clipboard you gave me."

she checks over the system, and nods.

"yes, you're right. he's with dr. barren, i'll ring him in for you."

"thanks mare."

she nods her head, smiling. i make my way back to logan's room, only to find it empty. where the hell did he go?

"let me go!"

i hear coming down the hallway, i run towards the groaning. only to see a bearded man holding logan away from a brunette haired woman.

"sir, please let him go."

he doesn't let go, i sigh.

"let go of my patient, i'm not going to ask you again."

my voice is stern and cool, he hesitates for a few minutes. letting go of logan, the man guards the woman protectively. logan stumbles on his feet, fixing his shirt.

"what happened?"

"he tried sexually harassing my wife while she was asleep!"

he points to the seat behind him, i rub my temples, are you fucking kidding me. logan has no emotion on his face, the woman looked terrified.

"i'm so sorry for his actions, logan let's go."

he tags behind me like a guilty 3 year old, as he sits back inside his private room.

"don't leave, and don't bother other citizens okay?"

he was still emotionless, it made me slightly worried for the people in the hospital. i leave the room, locking the door as the night crept upon me. a full moon shined through my window as i finished reading over some of my patients healing. some were healing drastically from neurosurgery i had done for a brain tumor.

"she's one tough cookie, i'll tell you that."

her parents laugh, as she smiles. they grip her hands tightly.

"she'll be okay?"

"she'll need time to heal, but for now, all of the tumor has been removed. i wish you all the best."

her mother has tears of joy.

"thank you so much, dr. mendes."

"of course."

with all the work i had to do my entire life, it was worth it. helping families, saving lives was everything. i never had time for love, as a teenager, yes. now, i don't have time for that, but finding kara danger. how am i supposed to deal with both?

i decide to check up on her, see if there's any change in her condition.

kara's pov

"hello, kara."

i hear his voice again, dr. mendes?

"damn."

the sound of disappointment in his voice doesn't fail to make my subconscious frown. i feel his hand touch my forearm, his touch shocks my entire body.

                            shawn's pov

i stare at her wrists, seeing scars, she self harmed? i touch her forearm, only to feel shock run through me, i glance at her vital signs. her heart rate had sped up instantly, i let go of her, alarmed.

"shit."

i curse under my breath, her vitals had drifted back to normal. note to self : don't touch kara. i stare at her wrists from a distance, i didn't choose to feel this way, but a part of me died a little bit. i don't feel love, i feel horny. that's all i've felt since i became a neurosurgeon last year.

kara was changing me without even being conscious. i can only imagine her awake.

                              kara's pov

i was still confused to why i felt shock from his touch. maybe it was just an electrocution? don't be naive, kara, you know you haven't been shocked that way before. i still felt his presence next to me, god i wish i could just wake up and see who this man really was. he was my doctor, but there was something about him that was more than just taking care of me as a patient.

i need to find out...

i need to wake up.