Chapter thirteen

AALIYAH

It had been a week since Sadiq had gotten into a coma, a week since i saw Raina in bed with him, and a week since my life crumbled to pieces.

It had been a week and the doctor had still not given us any assurance that he would wake up soon, but we kept hoping and i had been staying in the hospital all week, until i was forced by Jamal and Faridah to go home. they insisted i needed rest and promised to take turns in watching him.

It had also been a week since the contract between Sadiq and i ended. I was nothing to him, and vice versa, we could go our separate ways. I could walk away and forget every single tear i had shed, the pain and my love for Sadiq, but i couldn't; at least not until he wakes up. i still wanted to hear his explanation especially after Raina had called the police on the day she hit sadiq wit a stool behind his head which led to the coma. she had reported herself and was taken into custody and diagnosed to be suffering from a mental disability.

I was laying on the couch, exhausted after cleaning the house thoroughly to help relieve my stress when my phone rang and Jamals name appeared on my screen. My heart thumped and i prayed he was going to give me goodnews and indeed it was goodnews. He informed me that Sadiq had just gotten out of coma.

I rushed to the kitchen and made his favourite meal and packed him a fresh set of  clothes before leaving to the hospital. Despite the still very fresh wound in my heart, i was thankful to God that he was okay.

SADIQ

They sat across me, smiling and looking at me like i was crazy. Funny how i thought they were crazy before the Doctor informed me that i had been diagnosed with Retrograde amnesia and that i had lost part of my memory. The last thing i remembered was running to Raina's house for our Anniversary. i couldn't remember the tall funny looking man who called his self Jamal and was apparently my best friend. Last time i could remember Amir was my bestfriend. i couldnt remember the beautiful lady next to Jamal, Faridah. he said she was his wife. Nothing made sense to me, not these new people, nor the wound on my head which was by the way the least of my problems. I had asked where my mother and father were but i was told they were coming. I couldnt wait to see a familiar face.

I had looked at the mirror earlier and i couldnt help but marvel at how i had aged and how incredible i looked. I had packs and a beard. i must have worked out a lot, i thought.

Jamal and Faridah kept staring at me like it was a staring contest and i was starting to feel uncomfortable. i did not feel like a grown man, but like a teenager who was about to get punished for staying out too late, despite the smiles on their faces.

''can you ..uhm,, tell me how i er.. lost my memory,'' i stuttered the words sounding strange with my new bass voice.

Jamals eyes darted and fell on the floor as soon as i asked. If i knew that was all it would have taken to get him to stop staring, i would have earlier. I looked at Faridah and she shifted uncomfortably too.

''ehm, that's quite a long story,'' he said carefully construing his words, as if not wanting to make mistakes, ''maybe Aaliyah would be in a better position to tell you.''

Another person i couldn't remember, i thought.

''who is Aaliyah?'' i inquired.

The door opened and a woman came in just when Jamal was not about to answer my question.

''talk about the devil,'' Faridah said in a squeaky overly excited tone.

As soon as the woman entered she fixed her gaze on me. She looked tired and frail at the same time, she was beautiful and exuded elegance. i was most captivated by her dazzling eyes that reflected purity or pain, i wasn't so sure.

''Sadiq,'' she said softly. she looked familiar, i was almost sure i had seen her before.

''who are you?''

''Aa..liyah,'' she stuttered. she stepped closer, her eyes never leaving mine.

''I think i remember you.''

I watched as her eyes dilated and she came closer to me. Jamal and Faridah were now seating on the edges of their seats, staring at me expectantly.

''you are Raina's friend''

''what,'' Jamal rose from his seat and Aaliyahs face fell. Was i wrong? i thought, was i supposed to remember her. I suddenly felt guilty. Although she had grown up beautifully, i could still remember Raina's little sidekick who never said anything. i could still remember those eyes that stared at me, like it was yesterday, because it felt like yesterday.

''I am also,'' she paused, ''your wife and i need to speak to the Doctor,'' she rushed the words and quickly left the room leaving me in shock.

AALIYAH

It had been two weeks since Sadiq was discharged from the hospital. The Doctor had instructed to be careful not to say anything that my affect him, else he may loose the memory forever, he did encourage subtlety in helping him recover those memories, however. He was not to be told of his Fathers death nor our marriage agreement. Ma told Sadiq his father was off on a private business trip and whenever he asked questions about our Marriage, i would usually tell him stories from my fantasies or would i say dream marriage. I had expected him to freak out and be angry with the whole world like the normal Sadiq would have, but no, he was a complete joy.

We now slept in the same room, on the same bed and ate breakfast and every other meal together, with Ma, but Ma left this morning and i was freaking out about being left alone with Sadiq.

''Hey wifey, so what do we do for fun when we are alone?'' Sadiq asks draping his arm on my shoulder, taking me aback as i washed the dishes.

''oh well, glare at each other,'' i wanted to say but i end up saying, ''watch our favourite shows.''

''ok, lets go,'' he drags my arm like a little excited child.

''ok but,'' i hold his arm, my wet hands making marks on his shirt, ''go get ready, i'd be there as soon as i'm done with these dishes''

''fine,'' he pouts and kisses me on the cheek for the fifteenth time. yes i had been counting.

I quickly wash the plates despite my nervous shaky hands, got two glasses of juice before going to the living room to meet him.

''juice,'' i say, giving him the glass.

''thank you,'' he  smiles dreamily, patting the spot next to him. i smile awkwardly before seating next to him.

''how don't you hate me,'' i hear myself say before i could stop myself.

''what?'' he asks, turning to look at me with a wrinkled forehead and an uncertain smile.

''wouldn't you have wanted to marry Raina, because technically she was the last person you were in love with. i thought you would want her and hate me, after loosing ten years of your memory. so why dont you?''

He holds my hand and places it on his chest.

''I dont know my heart just feels this way. Ten years is a long time to fall out of love and into love again. i always thought i would love the person i ended up marrying like crazy. I know that i love you and that's the only thing that makes sense to me right now.''

My heart aches but i still smile, because i loved him, love him, and no matter how much i wanted to tell him the truth, i was happy with the lie, happier than i had been in years.

''I love you too,'' i murmur, resting my head on his shoulder, feeling unsure of everything else but that moment right there.