CH3: What Did You Just Say?

Picture of the Broken Ridge Mark ------->

I think I’m going to stick to first-person point of view, for now.

Thanks to everyone who is reading this.

________________________________________________________

Niki's Point of View

I stood stalk still looking at our visitors, and cringed, something felt and smelt familiar now, but I couldn’t figure out why. My head snapped up as one of the men spoke in a dark, demanding voice, “You’re coming with us…” It hissed, and I looked up to see the biggest Werewolf of the little group. He had power and authority radiating off his body, and as I looked him over, I couldn’t decide which he was, Alpha, or Beta. I finally decided upon him being the Beta; he wasn’t intimidating enough for an Alpha.

I scoffed, “I’m not ‘going’ anywhere.” I growled through clenched teeth. I was a rogue, and a damn feisty one at that, I was not going to have anyone telling me what to do, “Listen here bucko, I don’t follow orders well. So maybe you should ask nicely before you go barking up a tree you shouldn’t have screwed with in the first place, mutt.”

I was the feisty one; there was no question to it. Carmen always made sure I knew that. While she was more laid back and observative at times, I was the spunky, crazy, demanding one. I was also the stronger of us both, and the fastest. I loved to run, and feel sweat dripping down my body. On the other hand Carmen hated even seeing sweat, let alone sweating herself, although, she was pretty athletic, and in shape, for such a girly girl.

One of the other three wolves growled, “Watch your tone, you are speaking to the Beta of the Broken Ridg…”and the only thing that stopped him from saying anything more, was the so called ‘Beta’ turning and glaring at the speaker.

I took the chance, and began to shut the door, when a hand flew out and stopped it, “I’m afraid I’m going to have to keep, ‘barking up the wrong tree’, until I get what I want from it. Because my Alpha doesn’t take very well to people not following orders.”

I laughed, a humorless laugh, “What Alpha doesn’t…?” I murmured more to myself than to them. I spun around quickly, ignoring the comments that that had received, when I heard Carmen gasp, and watched as a freshly cleaned brush, that had had paint on it earlier, fall to the floor.

I noticed the dumb-shock expression on her face, and I spun around and tried to find what she was starring at, only to be greeted with the same expression on the face of the ‘Beta’. My ears pick up one word I never wanted to even hear uttered out of any males’ mouth towards Carmen, “Mate…” he mumbled, his eyes turning black. Swirling around back to Carmen, I watched as her wolf starting to appear, granted her eyes weren’t as black as the Beta’s were becoming, but they would get there soon if I didn’t do… something.

I did the only thing I could think of, I spun on my heels, and raced to Carmen, and before either she, her wolf, or her ‘mate’ could protest, I bolted, “Well C time to go.” I shouted, grabbing her arm and flying through the back door and into the woods.

I noticed that her ‘mate’ wasn’t following after a while, which probably meant that he either had more control than I thought, or that those guys he had with him had picked up on what I was trying to do. A mental image filled my head, of the four big brutes standing in our doorway and immediately thought, and knew that it could only be answer A.

I stopped in my tracks, and turned around; If he has control we can take her back right…? I questioned my wolf, eyes scanning the forest around us. Before I looked over at Carmen, who at first had protested about leaving, but once she gained control over her wolf, she was all the more eager to follow my lead. Being as close to the red head as I was I knew that this was something that was quite shocking to her, and I couldn’t help but let my mind drift back to the many conversations that we had had growing up about finding our mates. This must be a dream come true… I thought, and surprisingly she didn’t answer, and I immediately knew why, He’s coming! My wolf shouted in my head, and I could feel the darkening in my eyes. If he tried to take her from me, I would protest.