Chapter Sixteen

The following day, when Erica had finished her classes, Loki and Alice waited as she ran out into the hallway. Seeing the two of them, she smiled brightly and giggled to herself.

"How were you classes today?" Alice asked.

"They were good but I'm excited for my magic lessons." Erica replied.

"And we're going to start them right now!" Loki chuckled.

Alice watched with a smile as Loki lifted Erica into his arms, spinning her about. Seeing the two together like that made Alice realize that there was a possibility she may never be able to hold her children again as her body became weaker. Inside his study, Alice sat with Erica in her lap as Loki opened his spell books. He started off with a short explanation of the history of magic that Erica could comprehend. He then tried to teach her simple spells he first learned, such as, conjuring spells to bring forth her magic. Erica struggled a bit at first but soon was able to conjure it as she had done before. Alice helped her with the pronunciation of the spells Loki taught her.

Just as before, Erica struggled to conjure her magic and grew frustrated. She grabbed the bottom of Alice's dress and balled it up in her hand. Alice carefully took Erica's hand in hers and pulled it away from her dress.

"It's okay if what you want doesn't happen on the first try. When your father was teaching me magic, I too had trouble in the beginning. It's brand new and will take some time before you can conjure your magic at will. You still have all your years ahead of you to learn and master it." Alice explained softly.

"But I want to do it now!" Erica whined.

"It's okay if it's not happening as easily as it did that night," Loki told her. "These things take time and I am sure that soon enough you're going to be an even greater sorcerer than me."

"That's not true, papa. You're the best."

"Anything is possible, snowflake." He placed his index finger under her chin, raising her head to look at him.

He beamed seeing Erica do her best to keep from smiling.

"Let's try one more time." Alice caressed Erica's shoulders.

"Confn." He spoke.

"Confn." Erica repeated.

"Ekik."

"Ekik."

Alice and Loki saw the quickest flash of blue appear at Erica's fingertips. They clapped their hands together as Erica smiled triumphantly.

"You did it! I'm so proud of you!" Alice mumbled into Erica's hair, laying a kiss to her head.

"Good work, Erica, but you still have a long way to go." Loki chuckled.

"I'm going to be a great sorcerer!" Erica exclaimed giddily.

"Yes, you are." Alice beamed with tears in her eyes.

Later that day, Alice went for a walk through the gardens alone despite Loki's cautions against it. She admired all the flowers starting to bloom, signalling the start of the new season. She laid her hands on her belly, caressing it gently as she leaned forward to smell the scent of some of the flower bushes. She then picked a few from the bush and decided to make her way back inside. As she changed her course, she noticed the training grounds in the distance and paused for a moment watching the soldiers spar as Brunhilde appeared to be training as well. However, one person caught Alice's attention and she furrowed her brow, hurrying over there as best she could.

Brunhilde put her arms down seeing Alice rush towards her.

"Lovely to see you here, Alice." She remarked.