Chapter Twenty

On his journey, Thanos felt Death calling out to him. The urgency of her call made Thanos smile wickedly as he directed his ship towards her realm.

Upon reaching the realm, he exited his ship and began walking over the sea of bones, crushing them beneath his feet. He then stopped in his tracks seeing Death sitting on her throne, staring down at him. Thanos knelt down and bowed his head.

"Stand. There is not much time." Death ordered.

Thanos licked his lips as he stood up and took a few steps closer to Death.

"I heard your call." He stated.

"Yes, I have an urgent update."

"My time has come?" Thanos raised his brow.

"It has... but it seems as though you have a traitor under your nose."
Thanos furrowed his brow and scoffed as he looked around himself.

"I have no traitors on my side." He clenched his fists together.

Death narrowed her eyes at him and quickly levitated down towards him. She stopped a few inches away from him and Thanos saw the outline of her face. Her eyes sunken in and a deep red color. She could horrify anyone who was brought to her realm, but not him.

"The girl is dying." Death announced.

"Wonderful."

"She is dying as we speak. She will not make it to tomorrow."

"Just as we have planned. Where does this traitor business come in?" Thanos smirked.

"The girl will die and not wake up. Her life force is depleting as we speak. I cannot understand how I never sensed it before. The one thing you need will be lost if you do not act fast." Death explained.

"You are not making sense. You gave her a spell to make her appear as though she should die."

"Yes, but that other being you brought!"

"Hela?"

"Yes, her! She has betrayed you... just like I warned you!" Death seethed, like a banshee.

Her cry would have made any other cover their ears and cower in fear until she stopped, but Thanos was not affected by it. He never had been. He followed after her as she levitated back to her throne.

"What has she done?"

"She never placed my spell on her! She has placed her own curse on the girl and she is dying as we speak. The power you yearn for will be gone and your quest finished!" Death banged her hands down on the arm rests of the throne.

"What must I do? What must I do to stop it. She cannot die!" Thanos inquired frantically.

"There is only one thing you can do," Death growled. "Leave the rest to me."

"Of course." Thanos bowed his head.

"When you are done completing my task, you must immediately return to me."

"What task is that?"

Death gripped the arm rests and leaned forward, smiling devilishly at Thanos.

"Find Hela and kill her."

In the afternoon, Alice picked at her lunch as Loki brought the children over to spend time with her. Alice watched as he played around with them, running around the bed. She pushed the tray of food to the other side of the bed before wincing in pain as she pressed her hand against her lower back. She then noticed Haldane running up to the side side of the bed and taking her free hand in his.