CHAPTER 1: The Wall

Hi Guys,

Please read this! This is the new chapter 1, after it has undergone severe editing. let me know what you think!

Remeber, don't be a silent readyer, comment and vote :)

Veronica

CHAPTER 1: The Wall

'This is the end, we were wrong, the God's can't save us now. The world as we know it is gone, burning in the bowls of the universe. For all I know I might be the only person alive on this crumbling planet, but I didn't get to say good bye. He is out there; I know it and I will never stop searching. Never, I promise, never.' 

As I snap shut the cover of my all-time favourite novel, I cough as the dirt and dust that has slowly built up inside the book, streams out and begins to block my airways; something you should know about me, I'm asthmatic, or I think I am. You see, when I run, swim or do anything athletic, I am actually pretty good, but the dust, the dust always seems to get to me. Which isn't a good thing, when in my world, the dust gets under everything, and I mean everything. Clothes, beds and even books, although there aren't many around.

Books are banned in my world, but I'm not a rule follow, neither is my father. Ever since mum was killed by the commander and his 'superior inquisitors', he hasn't really obeyed them or lived by their principals. For one, he actually has books. When the Commander took control, he got rid of all the books, every one. But you see, my mum couldn't live without books, so she persuaded dad to hide them from the authorities so she could have a small pleasure in our gruelling lives. I miss my mother every day, it is like a wound that can never be healed, but I know that she would want me to live my life, so that I do.

My world is not like those in the past expected the future to be. As I read past news reports and books from the early 21st century, I see that what they expected the future to be, impacted their ability to make their dreams and predictions come true. We were on the right track, but then the war happened. Humanity was too focused on itself and what it wanted, that I couldn't bring its self to make small sacrifices for the good of others. That was its downfall.

I hear a crack of lightening and a deep rumble of thunder pierce the serene environment. With a sigh, I get up, as I know it's time to leave my special place. To others, it doesn't look special, is just looks like a little room behind the school, filled with hay and bags full of supplies, but to me it is something else. It is my place. A place where I can be alone and read without being caught, a place where I can think, a place where I can be free, a place where I can have Liberty.

As a trudge through the muddy dirt tracks I think about how different my life used to be, living in the Empire. I didn't have to walk through filthy swamps and read in small sheds, I would walk on crystal floors and read in luxurious chairs. I used to laugh at the others, the people who I am now equal with.

I finally make it home and quickly shut the wood door to stop any of the outside sludge coming inside.

"That you Liberty?" Logan calls. Logan and I have an interesting relationship. He is my father's new apprentice. Well, he's not new, he has been here since...since that day.

"Yeah, who else would it be? Is dad home?" I ask as I shrug off my coat and hang it on the hook next to the door.

"In his office, if you're going down to see him can you tell him that Logan said the- Just call it the parcel, tell him Logan said the parcel is here." Logan started off confidently but I can see that there was information he didn't want to give away, so I don't question it.