Prologue: 3 years ago

Hi everyone.

I hope you enjoy the prolouge :)

Veronica

Prologue: 3 years ago.

That day, that day is permanently enriched in my memory, no matter how hard I try, I can't forget it. But I know that if I forget it, it means I forget more than just that day, it means I forget my mother and the brave, inspiring hero she was. Do I want to sacrifice that for my 'wellbeing'?

01.5.2234.

The 1st of May, 2234, a day that started just like any other day. Every time I think back on it, I try and think, did it feel any different? Were there any warning signs I missed? Was it my fault...? Did I do something...? I don't know. I remember it perfectly as if it was yesterday. I remember every word I said to my parents, every word they said to me. I remember every thought that ran through my head, every emotion that I felt through my body. I remember the feelings of anger, sadness, hope and love, emotions that I never thought would haunt me forever. I remember...

Some may say it was just a day, but I say it was 'the day'.

I remember waking up and feeling the same things I did every other morning. I got up, ate my morning meal, got dressed and left the house for classes. My clothes, which took me hours to pick out, looking just as good on me as I thought they would. I didn't know where my parents were at that point, I just figured they were down in their lab, working on something and didn't want to be disturbed. Although they probably wouldn't have minded if I barged in, but I decided not to. My parents, they were both the best parents in the world, but it took me too long to realise that I had everything a girl could ask for; loving parents, amazing friends, popularity, money, and a place living in the empire. It was the dream of everyone living in Oasestra to live in the empire.

Those who lived there were said to be 'revered' by those who did not, or at least that's what I thought. Because my parents were scientists, working toward the cure to deadly diseases which 'threatened to plague humanity and terminate its existence' they were given everything anyone ever wanted in return for their services, but they didn't want anything. They only wanted to help people, but those emotions, kindness, compassion, love, they were all seen as weaknesses to exploit.

I remember going to school, sitting through periods of French, Science, Math, English, Business Studies and Law. I remember being snippy towards Betty, a girl who, evidently, did not live in the Empire. She came from a lowly family of blacksmiths. If only I had known what she would become, I would never have treated her the way I did. If only I had known what I was going to become, I wouldn't have treated anyone the way I did.

That day I stayed with my friends after classes and came home later than I should have. I keep thinking, what if I came home earlier? But I didn't. I remember unlocking the house and stepping inside to an atmosphere, usually warm and welcoming, which felt like its soul had been sucked out of its body. I was on my way to the kitchen when I heard a sound I will never forget, the bone-chilling screams of my parents.

I sprinted down to the lab as fast as I could to see my parents standing together, alone but shaking. I ran into their arms and bombarded them with questions: What happened? Were they okay? I remember them hugging me and telling me they loved me so much, I told them I loved them too, with all my heart, and I meant it. Until then my world had never been threatened, I was always living in a bubble, unaware of emotions like pain, sorrow and loss.

I remember hearing a bang and being bundled into a small cupboard by my parents. I tried to protest but they insisted and told me not to come out until they said it was safe. I stayed in that closet, I peeked through the keyhole to try and see what was happening. I watched masked men barge down the door to the lab as they ran over to my parents, weapons raised. My parents fought, my father protected my mother and my mother protected my father. They were inseparable.

I watched as my father was pulled away from my mother and cuffed, shoved to the floor as they grabbed the love of his life. I watched in horror as all men turned to face my mother. She didn't scream, she didn't protest, she didn't say anything. She looked them in the eye, her red hair like a fire behind her, as one man began to advance closer to her, the sword he was holding glistening in the light. My father tried to get up, he screamed, but there was nothing that could be done. I watched as the masked man advanced toward my mother. I watched as he ran toward her, running straight through her with his weapon. The scream I had been holding in escaped as she fell to the ground, bloodied and lifeless.

I watched, paralysed in fear and shock as they turned around and advanced toward the cupboard where I was hiding, my father screamed in protest, but he was silenced. I remember feeling my heart beat race as the door was thrown open. I prepared to fight, to avenge my mother's death, but they simply closed the cupboard door and left, completely unaware that they had just taken something invaluable from me. My mother.