Chapter 7: "The Cafe"

I wiped my nervous palms against my jeans and took the call, placing the cell against my ear.

"Dad... How are you?" I faltered.

"Armelle dear, are you okay? You sound all choked up." He asked, concern laced in his tone.

"No I'm fine! Really."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, just a little tired." And a little tipsy, judging by the fact that I was in my second can of beer. But I wasn't telling that to him.

"So how are you, love? Liking your new job?"

"Yes dad, I love it and it's all thanks to you," I was truly grateful for my dad giving me the opportunity, but sadly I would be leaving it soon.

"I can't believe Asher hired you as his personal assistant. I just wanted him to take you as an intern- not that I'm complaining."

"It's pretty unbelievable, yeah."

"But you're doing good. Asher told me all kinds of good things about you, but of course you are a little clumsy." My dad teased. I have always been a little uncoordinated ever since I could stand and stumble.

I laughed. "I do tend to mess up sometimes but Mr.Jones has been good to me." In more ways than one.

"Good to know that my baby girl is happy." I smiled into the receiver.

"Daniel, give me the phone! She's my daughter too, you know!" My mother called from the other side, sounding impatient.

"Calm down! I am almost done! Okay love, I will talk to you later. Your mom is dying to talk to you."

"Bye dad. Take care and don't overwork yourself at the cafe!"

After a brief moment, my mom was on the other end, "I told you, you were getting that job! You were too good for that lowly internship."

"Yes mom you were right."

I didn't get a reply from her. Instead, her voice sounded distant. "Dan why don't you tend the plants and let us mother daughter have a talk?"

"Okay, okay." He yielded, "I'll leave you alone." After some time, she was back.

"Dear, is everything okay? You've been sending an awful lot of money these days."

"Yes mom. I get paid... A lot actually. So I decided to send you some. Help you guys out."

"Dear- your dad mustn't have told you because he didn't want to trouble you," There was a pause, but she continued,"But we are in debt. And if we don't pay it in six months we might need to sell off the cafe."

"What?" I asked, disbelieving. "Why, what happened?"

"Well, your dad borrowed some money from the bank because he wanted to renovate the cafe with the recent... fancy equipments but turns out we weren't making much profit so we can't return them the money. Even though your dad thinks he can, but with the declining popularity of our cafe we don't get many customers these days."

When I was young, 'The Vista Cafe' was one of the most popular cafe around because it is situated very close to University of Florida. It was the ultimate go to place for sleep deprived college students in dire need of caffeine. But after the new Starbucks and other well known corporate owned cafes opened opposite to us, people tend to go there now. But those who have been our regular customers still come here for a good cup of joe. Or so I thought.

"How much does he owe the bank?"

"Quite a lot of money. Your dad has been worrying about it a lot though he tries not to show it".