Chapter 25: "Betray"

I woke up to the sound of Asher's alarm ringing. I immediately got up and turned it off. I was naked underneath my sheets. Last night was perhaps one of the best nights of my life. Asher said he loves me, I smiled to myself. It was too good to be true. We don't have to pretend to be married anymore. He was my husband now and I love him.

I got up and wore the nearest thing I could find which was Asher's oversized t-shirt. I kissed him, careful not to wake him up. The room was a mess from our last night's activities. Our clothes were scattered all over the floor. I decided to clean the room after washing my face and brushing my teeth.

While brushing my teeth I realized I wasn't wearing my silver locket. It was a locket my mom gifted me on my fifteenth birthday and I have been wearing it since then. I started searching the house frantically, but it was nowhere to be found.

Shit! What have I done? I was getting worried now. Later I decided to call up Syd if she knew where it was. "You took it off when I was applying makeup on you for the wedding. It must be at the Jones Residence," she said yawning.

It was way too early in the morning so instead of waking Asher, I decided to get dressed and take an Uber to the Jones residence.

The guards let me in since they knew me without bothering to inform Ivana and I strictly told them not to do so as Ivana might still be sleeping. They complied and I easily got in.

As I recalled that I got ready in one of the many rooms on the second floor, I climbed up the stairs passing countless rooms, finally finding the one I got ready in since that was the only door which was different than the others.

Fortunately the door was open so I let myself in and started searching for the locket. Turns out it dropped on the floor and I forgot all about it. I vowed to myself not to not make the same mistake again. Who am I kidding? I have always been a mess.

I got out of the room, Wait, which side did I come from? I couldn't remember so I picked one and started heading towards it.

Okay I think I came from the opposite side since this side wasn't anything like I remember. I was about to turn around when I heard some familiar voices.

"Did you do what you were supposed to do?" Ivana asked.

"Yeah I did. It wasn't hard though. He wrote me a check without even questioning me," the other person replied. It was a male voice and it was oddly familiar.

"Yeah your dad trusts you blindly, unlike Asher. He can't even bear to be with in the same room as him."

Wait, was that... the curiosity was killing me, I walked to the room, hiding behind the door but I could see everything from here.

It was Michael. But he wasn't supposed to be here. He couldn't even attend our wedding as he had to fly to New York to take care of work because Mr. Jones is sick. As far as I know he hasn't recovered yet so what is Michael doing here now?

"Asher deserves it. He fucking killed my mother. I hate him," he said through his gritted his teeth fuming in anger. I was shocked to hear this. That was a side of him I have never seen in front of Asher. He pretended to love his brother, but Asher loved his brother blindly.

"No... Don't," Ivana inched closer to him wrapping his arms around his waist. That gesture seemed oddly intimate. "I am selling this house within a few days, then with all the money we have collected we will be escaping from this toxic family of yours forever. We don't need to be here anymore."

"Do you think what we are doing is right?" Michael asked his eyes watery.

"Yes. I have always loved you not your dad. And I want to be with you. You want the same too right?"