The Unexpected

"Wha- What are you doing here, River?"  She looked at him, confused.  "I'm visiting of course.  It's been years since I've seen you."  The Doctor was about to reply when Lily approached.  "Dad?  Who's this?"  She hid behind his leg slightly, for protection.

River crouched down, and gasped.  "Lily!  Look at you!  You're so big!"  Lily looked up at The Doctor.  "Dad?  Who is she?"  River snorted slightly.  "Really?!  You didn't tell her about me?"  The Doctor shushed them.  "I don't understand.  River, how do you know Lily?"  

River gapped at him.  "You mean you don't- Oh God."  He looked at her, confused.  River had her head in her hands, distressed.  "Time Travel.  Stupid time travel.  She arrived too early in his time line.  Of course she did, this always happens..." She muttered to herself.  "River, could you explain?"

She looked back at him.  "I messed up.  Lily arrived too early.  Before everything happened.  Before you learned."  He stared at her, puzzled.  "Before I learned what, exactly?"  "That you were going to be a father."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were at the park now, watching Lily feed some ducklings.  He sat next to River on a bench.  "So you're her... Mother."  River nodded.  "Yes.  After I told you I was pregnant, we decided it would be safer for her to be with you for a while.  I had some people after me, and... Well, it was the right decision.  It amazes me that even though you didn't know I was the mother, you still took Lily in.  Then again, she is yours."

"I would've taken her in even if she wasn't mine.  And in some ways I still think that."  River looked at him.  "What do you mean?"  "How can she be mine if we-"  His cheeks got red, and he coughed, embarressed.  "If we, you know, haven't..."  

River's eyes widened and she stared at him.  "Oh my God.  We haven't had sex yet?!"  His face turned bright down,and he hushed her.  "River, quiet down!  We're out in public!"

She shook her head.  "Oh, I screwed up.  I knew I had a little, but now..."  She looked up at him.  "I am SO sorry Doctor.  I really did think that we had... that I had given you her after all this.  I am so sorry."  She sighed.  "No wonder you didn't tell her about me...You didn't have any idea whatsoever who Lily's mother was, and yet you still took are for her."

He shrugged.  "It was the right thing to do."  They sat silent for a moment.  "So we- eventually..."  He blushed again, and she laughed.  "Oh yes.  That should be soon to come for you you."  She winked.  He stared at his feet, unable to make eye contact.

Lily ran back to them.  "Can we go back?  I'm tired."  The Doctor nodded.  "Of course, Sweetie."  River glanced at him and smiled.  "Sweetie?"  He smiled back.  "Sure, let's go."  They started to walk back.  Lily turned to River.  "So you're my mum?"  River nodded.  "That's right."  Lily wrapped her arms around her, grinning wide and suprising River.  "I'm glad we found you."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily was put to bed so that they could talk.  "So what are we going to do?"  River looked at him.  "What do you mean?"  He sighed.  "What do we want to do about Lily?  Are you going to take her now?"  River sat quiet for a moment.  "She hardly knows me.  And you'd miss her."

He shrugged.  "I would, but... She needs to live with  a woman for a while, learn womany things.  I can't teach her every thing."  River nodded.  "Okay.  I guess your right.  But you'd still have to visit often, and every once in a while travel with her for a few months."  He nodded.  "Of course."  "Okay then.  It's settled."

She exhaled heavily, then smiled.  "Well, since we have a little time..."  He looked up at her, but she had already made her move, connecting her lips to his.  His eyes widened, suprised.  He kissed her back, then broke it off.  "Not now River.  Not while Lily's here.  She's a light sleeper."  She shushed him.  "Relax, It's just kissing."

She kissed him again, and this time he didn't resist.  It had been a long while, after all.