A Little Older, A Little Newer

It had been a couple weeks since The Doctor saw River.  He had been dabbling between Rivers, older and younger.  For the past two weeks, he had decided to go sight seeing.  Visiting the moon of Areg, Niagra Falls.  The usual visits.

It had gotten to the point where the only way he knew which River he was visiting was if she wrote of Lily.  That's how he knew which River wanted him when he recieved a note.  

Hello Doctor.  As you may or may not know, Christmas is coming.  Lily would be ever so grateful if you stopped by.  She's got the flu, so it would really make her day if you stopped by.  Much love, River.

Upon reading the note, he hurried to travel through time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking in the mirror, he straightened his bow tie and neatened his hair.  Once satisfied, he left the Tardis and ran up the steps to River's home.  He knocked on the door, and it opened with a tired looking River.

He smiled.  "Hello, River!"  "Hi Doctor.  Um, we need to ta-"  I brought you and a Lily gifts!"  he held up two wrapped packages.  River sighed.  "Alright, come in.  Lily's in the shower."  She moved out of the way and he stepped through, making his way towards the living room.

He sat down on the couch and handed River's present to her.  "Here you go!  Hope you like it!"  She opened it up and found a beautiful bracelet.  She gasped.  "Oh my God, Doctor!  It's gorgeous!  Where on Earth did you find this?"  He shrugged, smiling.  "Oh, just while exploring the universe.  It was at some sort of swap meet.  Very interesting, lots of people.  Anyway, glad you like it."  

She hugged him.  "I love it."  She kissed him.

"Ugg.  Mum, please.  You're not alone."  Lily walked down the stairs.  The Doctor stared at her, interested.  There was something different about her.  Her voice was slightly slower, she looked older.  She had a different nose, and her hair was a light blonde.

He gasped.  "You regenerated!"  Lily looked at him and smiled.  "Hi, Dad!"  She hugged him while he looked at River.  "When did she regenerate?!  Why didn't I know?"  River sighed.  "I told you, she had the flu.  It was worse than we thought."

Lily butted in.  "Yeah, but I'm all better now!  Did you get me anything?"  He handed her the wrapped gift, which she opened to find a necklace with an Opal stone in the middle.  She smiled.  "It's beautiful!"  She hugged him again.  "Thanks, Dad."

He nodded.  "Your welcome, Sweetie.  Er, how old are you now?"  "Eleven, Dad.  My birthday is in three weeks."  "Eleven, right.  I'll try to remember that."  

Lily nodded, then looked back at the necklace.  "I'm going to go put this on."  She ran back up the stairs, and the Doctor turned to River.  "She's getting so tall."  River shrugged.  "Eh, I think it was the regeneration.  She can sing better now, so she's happy about that."

"Why did you move from the apartment?"  "Well, she definetly couldn't go back to school looking completely different now could she?"  "No I suppose not."  

They sat it silence for a moment.  "You look well."  He commented.  She rolled her eyes and laughed, smiling.  "Thank you, Sweetie.  I'm glad you could stop by.  When are you leaving?"  He kissed her cheek.  "Not anytime soon."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Pass the salad, please."  They were sitting around the table.  Lily had prepared the salad, River made some bread, and the Doctor made some lasagna.  Lily handed him the salad, and he scooped some onto his plate.  

"The lasagna is fantastic, Dad."  He smiled.  "Thank you, Lily.  Salad isn't bad either."  River took a sip from her wine, then wiped her mouth.  "So Christmas is tomorrow.  "What do you two want to do?"

Lily shrugged.  "I was thinking sitting around all day, watching the tele."  The Doctor nodded.  "Sounds good to me."  River looked at the clock.  "Now, it's eight.  Lily, bed."  "But ti's still early!"  "Watch your tele until nine."  Content with that answer, she stopped complaining and ran up to her room.

 Once she was gone, the Doctor spoke.  "I just visited past you."  River took another bite of salad and glanced at him.  "Oh?"  He nodded.  "Yeah, you had just found out that you were pregnant."  "Ahh.  That was a long time ago."  

"So how is she?"  "She's fine.  She's made a few friends since we moved here a month ago."  He smiled.  "That's good.  I'm glad you two are happy."  River sighed.  "I'd be happier if you were here with us."  They sat quietly for a moment.  

"Maybe later, but... Right now I'm still working things out.  Once she's done with school, you could come with me."  She smiled slightly.  "That would be nice."  He yawned slightly.  "I'm exausted.  Could we go to bed?"  River looked at him, smiling slyly.  "Oh, not like that!"  She winked.  "Surrrrrrreee."  He chuckled, following her to the bedroom.